Denae's Reviews > Harmful To Minors: The Perils Of Protecting Children From Sex

Harmful To Minors by Judith Levine

bookshelves: heard-about-on-public-radio, read-in-2011, challenge-1010-by-2020, nook

We live in a society where fear and ideology are the basis for many of the decisions made regarding children and sexuality, from the ever present panic about sexual abuse to the prevalence of abstinence only education despite the predominance of evidence that it does not work. This is underlying message Judith Levine describes in Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children from Sex, a thought-provoking and intense work chronicling how we got to the place we are today and how these attitudes are dangerous and can damage our children. She discusses how both left-wing feminism and right-wing religious ideology created this environment and have helped it flourish. Thoroughly researched with extensive documentation, this is a work well worth reading attentively and carefully.

You can read a more comprehensive review on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harmful To Minors.

January 6, 2011 – Shelved
January 18, 2011 – Shelved as: heard-about-on-public-radio
October 3, 2011 – Started Reading
October 3, 2011 –
page 112
32.56% "This is fascinating and thought-provoking. I already have a dozen other books, cases, or people to look up when I finish."
October 7, 2011 –
page 156
October 8, 2011 –
page 299
86.92% "this will not be a short review"
October 8, 2011 – Finished Reading