Denae's Reviews > Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

bookshelves: read-in-2011, challenge-1010-by-2020, nook

I cannot remember a time in my life when I have not loved music and loved to sing. I was raised in an environment where singing, and singing in front of others was pervasive. That being said, other than voice lessons, I have very little formal knowledge of what music is. I do not play an instrument or read music easily, and I most certainly have never been taught how music impacts the brain. Fortunately for me, in Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain Oliver Sacks addresses the latter, and does so in his beautiful flowing style. Somethings I've suspected were confirmed. Other pipe dreams, like that I could someday acquire perfect pitch, were dashed, but that is fine because of how fascinating the book was. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in any facet of music or the workings of the human brain.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Musicophilia.

Quotes Denae Liked

Oliver Sacks
“The power of music, whether joyous or cathartic must steal on one unawares, come spontaneously as a blessing or a grace--”
Oliver Sacks, Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain

January 6, 2011 – Shelved
October 14, 2011 – Started Reading
October 14, 2011 –
page 53
13.91% "Excellent so far, but probably won't be the fastest read."
October 19, 2011 –
page 97
October 24, 2011 –
page 137
35.96% "I found the section on absolute pitch particularly fascinating. It's an ability I've always wished I had."
October 27, 2011 –
page 161
42.26% "just can't seem to focus today"
October 31, 2011 –