Denae's Reviews > The Christ Haunted Landscape: Faith And Doubt In Southern Fiction

The Christ Haunted Landscape by Susan Ketchin

Flannery O'Connor said "I think it is safe to say that while the South is hardly Christ-centered, it is most certainly Christ-haunted." From these words, the title of The Christ-Haunted Landscape: Faith and Doubt in Southern Fiction was born. The book consists of twelve interviews Susan Ketchin conducted with Southern authors about the roles played by faith and doubt in their lives and their writing. Each interview was preceded by a brief biography and either a short story or an excerpt from a book by the writer.

This book came highly recommended by a friend with whom I have a shared Southern and religious background. It is not a subject about which I have thought often in such a direct manner, but it is one which struck a chord with me, and this was one of the finest works of non-fiction I have read. The role of these twin subjects in the life of the South is unmistakable to one who has lived there, and the way in which they must be wrestled by these writers rings true. If I have a complaint, it is that there was no representation of authors who are now atheistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christ Haunted Landscape.

January 6, 2011 – Shelved
January 21, 2011 – Shelved as: heard-about-on-public-radio
February 13, 2011 – Shelved as: recommended-by-a-friend
March 16, 2011 – Started Reading
March 17, 2011 –
page 56
13.73% "I will probably buy this. There is so much that is familiar, even this short of a way in and it's creating nostalgia, and anger, and a sort of aching joy in life. I did not expect these things."
March 23, 2011 –
May 31, 2011 –
page 232
June 13, 2011 –
page 264
64.71% "This is an excellent book, but I am glad it is broken into sections. Each story and excerpt has been excellent so far and the interviews are insightful."
July 23, 2011 –
page 308
July 23, 2011 –
page 308
August 6, 2011 –
page 332
August 14, 2011 –
page 408
100.0% "This is a fascinating book. I remain indebted to Marvin for the recommendation."
August 14, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 18, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
October 21, 2011 – Shelved as: re-read-potential
December 21, 2011 – Shelved as: list-best-books-read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: challenge-1010-by-2020
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: nook

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by karen (new) - added it

karen ooh, thank you! added!