McGee Magoo's Reviews > Wet

Wet by Ruth Clampett

it was ok
bookshelves: 1st-person-hero-pov, annoying-heroine, not-my-cup, reviewed

3 stars...probably closer to 2.5, but I'm feeling generous

I want to say, first off, that I really like that this is 1st-person, all-hero POV. As a change up, I like reading romance from the perspective of the hero. It's fun.

The premise was pretty great, the delivery, not so much.

We have our hero, Paul, he comes from a great, god-fearing, down-to-earth, loving family. His mom and dad have set such a good example of marital bliss and fidelity that he's gotten himself into a program that's an off-shoot of Sex Addicts Anonymous called Abstinence Until Love. He's serious, he's committed. But a certain divorcee is testing his will.

The divorcee in question, Elle, is on a mission that is the complete opposite of Paul's. She's looking for fun in the sack. No strings, no bullshit. Just feeling good after a marriage of feeling worthless and undesirable.

So you can see how this could be a fun push-and-pull. They want each other, but their respective end goals are too different to make it work.

Unfortunately, during the first half of this book I couldn't buy that they were having this sexually-charged yet "platonic" friendship. They had zero business talking to each other. She came across as desperate and frankly, a little rude.

If we were supposed to believe that Paul was truly a sex addict, working hard toward reform, then Elle's actions, words...they all were asshole-y. If he were an alcoholic, would a friend constantly talk about enjoying lots of drinks, expressing the desire to share lots of drinks with him, basically pouring drinks in front of him???? I really didn't like Elle for this.

But part of me couldn't buy that Paul was a sex addict anyway. The first half was really hard to swallow. I didn't believe or buy into any of it and some of the dialogue was cheesy as hell:

"I just wanted to feel sexy and independent. Like those girls on those racy cable shows."

There was a middle-portion of this book that I felt was better, where I liked the relationship they had--the relationship where Elle was a little more toned-down in her sexual overtures, where Paul was less about thinking they were friends and more about just biding his time, waiting for her to be ready for a relationship because he was in love with her (this seemed more believable).

THEN...something happens and, ugh, and Paul annoys me. (view spoiler).

There's an issue with an ex-lover that doesn't really ever get resolved. I kept waiting for some sort of confrontation, but it never came. Apparently, a text message was enough to tie it up. ???

I gave this a 3 out of generosity because the second half was more enjoyable, but now that I've reflected a bit, I just can't give it a 3. I'm downgrading to a 2. Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wet.

September 10, 2015 – Shelved
September 10, 2015 – Shelved as: own-to-read
September 14, 2015 – Started Reading
September 17, 2015 –
16.0% "Ugh, the desperation from this lady..\n "Elle, what are you thinking about when you ride your vibrator?" "That I'd rather it was you." Damn. "Yeah?" "Or more specifically, your anaconda." "
September 17, 2015 –
September 18, 2015 – Shelved as: 1st-person-hero-pov
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: annoying-heroine
September 19, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 24, 2015 – Shelved as: not-my-cup
September 24, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Andrea I like this review. You are spot on with each sentence. Couldn't have said it better myself:)

McGee Magoo Andrea wrote: "I like this review. You are spot on with each sentence. Couldn't have said it better myself:)"

Thanks Andrea. It was hard to not give spoilers because I had a lot to say about that thing that happened in the middle... I really didn't like it as a plot twist. Not in the least.

chloegirl I just finished skimming the last half of the book for the reason of hating what happened. Uncle Paul. Uncle Pussy is more like it. Good review. Spot on.

McGee Magoo Uncle Pussy. I like it. Very fitting. :)