C Joy's Reviews > Pulse

Pulse by Jeremy Robinson

2711937
Jan 06, 2011

bookshelves: action-adventure, mystery-suspense, contemporary-fiction

If there's one word to describe Jeremy Robinson's writing style, it is "organized". When I saw this at the bookstore, I felt a "pull", like it was talking to me, yelling in that little voice "pick me! Pick me!" so I did.

This is the first book I've read from Mr Robinson and I was really impressed. I never got lost, never got bored, everything was explained in detail, it's specifically biological science fiction (not the futuristic ones with aliens), combined with Greek mythology, military action, suspense, and it was a blast! While I'm conscious that I'm reading fiction, I was beginning to believe Hercules existed, that he's not a demi-god but a human like us, he just has incredible strength that set him apart.

This is part of my "public read", given the term I only read it in public, but I could wolf this down in one sitting. This was also recommended by other readers, one even said "for fans of Matthew Reilly" so I was expecting nonstop action, but this one gives breathers, a time to formulate the action plans and I felt safe whenever they're in Fort Bragg. Unlike in Matthew Reilly's Jack West Jr series where the odds are always against Jack and his team, I have the sense of confidence here, given their resources, military training and special abilities, I knew they could pull it off.

I have to admit I was really slow in connecting the dots why their team is called such. Duh! Their call signs! *shakes head*

I liked the gore, the imagery, the violence was astounding it reminded me of Resident Evil (both game and movie). It's a science experiment gone wrong and at first I didn't know who the bad guys were, there wasn't anything stereotypical here, and the characters are still mysteries, well some of them anyway.

So I'm really raving about it but I only gave it a 4. Well, it's a terrific read and all but not something I'll read again. While I'll recommend it to my friends, I won't be reading it anytime soon. There were formulaic conflicts like man vs. man, man vs. nature, and I loved the twist. While Delta was battling Gen-Y, they had to halt the human battle and focus on eliminating the Hydra. I liked how things fell through and the ending. Only some of the Team's members got highlights and little backgrounds, but it's all right because I know the next would give the others a chance. I'm going to check out his other works, this book deserved all the other authors' praises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pulse.

January 6, 2011 – Shelved