Wanda's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

bookshelves: female-authors, 500-great-bks-by-women, young-adult, book-club, read-in-2018

I started reading The House on Mango Street without really researching anything about it. I could really tell that the author is also a poet—the beauty of the language and the descriptions was stunning. If you are looking for something plot-driven, this is not your book. But if you are willing to savour each chapter/vignette for what it is, you will enjoy this artistic little volume.

Each chapter is like a perfectly cut and polished gemstone, offering the reader a peek into the Chicago of the 1950s and 1960s. What I really related to was the naiveté of Esperanza—at her age, I was similarly clueless about the allure of boys (or what one would actually do with a boy that parents were always worrying about). Despite that lack of knowledge, I struggled against societal expectations, just as Esperanza did. I too watched my mother struggle to express her artistic self, while trying to juggle life as a mother and a wife and I learned the same lesson: support yourself so that you can do the things you need to do in life.

We are also allowed a look into the world of immigrant Mexican families of that time—the strictness of the fathers, the dilapidated housing, the restraint on expectations. The importance of family. The reliance on community.

Esperanza gets her name for a reason—there is Hope that a true artistic life can be achieved. And if this book is any indication, Sandra Cisneros has certainly met those expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.

September 10, 2015 – Shelved
January 4, 2018 –
page 74
January 4, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Eilonwy I keep meaning to read this! Your glowing review is moving it back to the top of my list!

Wanda Eilonwy wrote: "I keep meaning to read this! Your glowing review is moving it back to the top of my list!"

It is a very quick little read, Eilonwy. An evening or two at the most.