Diary of a Book Addict's Reviews > Decline

Decline by Michelle Irwin

bookshelves: reviewed-by-sib

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book as I wasn't majorly drawn to Declan or Alyssa during 'Decide'.

Decline picks up four years after Decide finishes. For Declan Reede life should be bliss... all of his dreams have come true and he's made it as a Pro V8 racer, even managing to win the title of youngest Pro V8 Champion but instead finds his hopes and dreams slipping out of his fingers. Suffering from anxiety and insomnia, Declan has 'crashed out' of all of his last 5 races resulting in DNF's (did not finish).

The story starts with Declan in the seat of a V8 car about to begin a race and from the off the reader is pulled into the nightmares Declan is experiencing... his confidence in finishing the race is pretty much none existent let alone winning it:

' Realistically, I should have been buzzing with confidence, like I had been the last time I'd lined up for this race, but I wasn't. Instead, a constant loop of all the reasons I was going to fail ran through my mind, diminishing my purpose and causing my hands to shake.'

After crashing out yet again, Declan is ordered by his boss to take a vacation and sort his head out. This leads to a chance meeting on a plane with the one person he has been avoiding for the last four years, the reason his head is so messed up, the girl he couldn't keep but also has never been able to fully let go of; Alyssa Dawson.

Spending time with Alyssa, proves to Declan that he's still in love with her and that he never should have let her go but Alyssa has been keeping some earth shattering secrets and when Declan finds out, it turns his entire world upside down.

The book is told from Declan's POV throughout which I really enjoyed (I love getting inside a male characters head). From the very first chapter I was enthralled, I felt like I was sitting inside that race car next to Declan, I could almost feel the vibrations of the car and hear the roar of the engine. I even felt the nervous anxiety Declan felt.

Even though, at times I wanted to punch Declan, This connection continued all the way through the book. I loved Declan and I hated him, I wanted to shake him but also wanted to hug him.

A superbly written book, I really enjoyed it and cant wait for the next instalment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decline.

September 10, 2015 – Started Reading