Shannon Thompson's Reviews > The White Rose

The White Rose by Amy Ewing

Yep. Still one of my new all-time favorite series. But, again, not for everyone. As a flat-out, upfront warning, this series revolves around a lot of sexual abuse, including but not limited to forced surrogacy, prostitution, and castration. But you probably already know that since this is the second novel. Moving on…
I LOVE IT. The White Rose deepens the overall world, went in a direction I NEVER saw coming, and tied everything up with the most heartbreaking cliffhanger of all time. (AMY, I NEED BOOK 3, AS DOES EVERYONE.) I’m attached to every character, and each character is human in his or her own way. I adore how—due to their circumstances—they treat other characters differently from one another, even if they are on the same side. It really adds a 3-D effect you don’t always see in such a short amount of time, especially during a rebellion.
Beyond that, Violet continues to grow, and so do those around her. I particularly have a soft spot for Garnet. Even though he is such a small character, his impact is voluminous. I suspect his connections will have an even bigger impact in the last book of the trilogy (which I need. Right meow. Have I said that yet? Amy? Amy?)
In this book, as difficult as it was to read, I truly appreciated seeing more of Lucien’s backstory. But seriously, what a terrible, gut-wrenching moment. I had to put the book down for a minute after that. The reason I use the word “appreciate” is because of the author. She is tackling unspeakable issues without apology, and she does it in a way that isn’t gratuitous, insensitive, or heartless; for that, I love her even more. She is truly a talented and brave author for writing this series, both carefully and imaginatively. Everything in The White Rose is delicate, which is exactly why Amy Ewing is brilliant.
I imagine this book is leading up to a truly epic ending. I cannot even begin to imagine how the finale will unravel…but I bet it will be enthralling, crushing, and empowering. It might even be epic. ;)
~SAT
Recommended to: First and foremost, readers who can handle mature topics relating to sexual abuse, such as forced surrogacy, prostitution, and castration. Fans of romance, fantasy with elemental magic, rebellion, and made-up worlds (in this case, an island).
Favorite Quote: I struggle for something to say, words of comfort or inspiration, but there’s nothing. Saying I’m sorry isn’t enough. And saying I wish this hadn’t happened is a lie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Rose.

September 10, 2015 – Shelved