Kristin Spencer's Reviews > Blessed Are the Contrarians: Diary of a Journey Through Interesting Times

Blessed Are the Contrarians by S.R. Piccoli

This book by S. R. Piccoli is actually based on a collection of blog entries that are dedicated to different “Contrarians.” Contrarians, as Piccoli explains, can be generally defined as those “who take opposing stands from the majority.”

Although his book is written from the standpoint of a Christian, I don’t think that someone coming from a different worldview would find his beliefs or writing style imposing. He is a philosopher that sometimes takes on the role of historian, and speaks about “meeting” other famous philosophers along the course of his life, while trying to reconcile their writing with different historical events, including current ones. I’m sure if you are also a philosopher, you will love this book. However, as a literary scholar, I also found this collection of characters very interesting. I know that many of my colleagues would agree that this is a worth-while read for anyone that enjoys studying literature. As an example, here is a quote about Ralph Waldo Emerson’s writing, “Therefore, in a sense, I may say that my discovering Emerson was a further exploration of that magnificent country. Yet, apart from the nature, Emerson and America reflect each other in regard to attitudes of mind and views of life.” If you are interested in meeting many complex and influential contrarians, this is the book for you.

In addition to those points, it seems to me (an American expat living in Europe) that Piccoli is well traveled, and tries to understand other people and cultures on a complex level in stead of making assumptions based on his own familiar background. He describes himself as, European by birth, American by philosophy.” This characteristic is a rare thing to find in an author, and I appreciate it very much.

I should also note that any intellectual Christian will find this book immensely refreshing. I think Piccoli accomplishes in his book what Alfred Edersheim meant when he wrote of the parable of the talents, “It refers general to all that a man has, wherewith to serve Christ; for, all that the Christian has — his time, money, opportunities, talents, or learning (and not only ‘the Word’), is Christ’s, and is entrusted to us, not for custody, but to trade withal for the absent Master — to further the progress of His Kingdom.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed Are the Contrarians.

September 10, 2015 – Started Reading