Brian's Reviews > Blood of the Fold

Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind

Jan 05, 2011

Read in July, 2002

Book 3:

better plotting - actually foreshadowed to next book. The ending was pretty climactic and not totally obvious fairly exciting and page turning. Still kind of annoying at times. Cloying and overboard on emotions. Characters are either invincible or stupid depending on author whims. Wizard rules are retarded!!!!!!

Series: 5/10

The Sword of Truth series usually gets mentioned in the same breath as George R. R. Martin and Robert Jordan. Since I like those two authors, I decided to try this series, hoping it would be as good. Boy was I let down! I really did not like these books and am amazed at all the good reviews they get. The books were fairly readable and went by quickly. However, I thought the plotting was poor, the characters were stupid, and the story was VERY heavy-handed, over melodramatic and simplistic. The relationship between the two protagonists was way over the top and completely cheesy at times. The plot seemed really forced and not very detailed and is often very cliched. Character development is much the same. The characters are obviously good guys or bad guys. The good guys seem invincible and all-knowing except for the times they act like complete idiots and do things for stupid reasons for clunky plot purposes. Each book is meant to be a separate adventure. In order to do this, the author really stretches to find new hurdles to overcome. Plus, there's lots of annoying repetition. Overall, I thought the series annoyingly stupid, and am very glad to be done plowing through it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood of the Fold.