Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews's Reviews > His Lover to Protect

His Lover to Protect by Katee Robert

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick

Slick's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

From the first chapter to the last His Lover to Protect by Katee Robert was intense and sexy with complex characters who despite the situation that brought them together find in each other exactly what they need. I very much enjoyed this installment in the Out of Uniform series.

When Alexis Yueng finds out her little sister is pregnant she escapes to Europe to prove to herself she's alive and vibrant and not scared of anything. In her mind it is a great idea, in her heart she feels she's doing the right thing but underneath it all Alexis is struggling and she needs this time to figure out her next step. When she takes out a stranger in an alleyway in Cork, she has no idea that he is the very man her family has sent to keep tabs on her and keep her safe and when Luke Jackson realizes he might go to hell for the lengths he takes to do that he's along for the ride because Alexis stirs something in him that he hasn't seen since before the IED explosion that ended his career and almost ended his life.

Right off the bat it was evident both Alexis and Luke were hurting and while their battles were very different in each other they found a kindred spirit. I kind of hated that right up front Luke had to lie to Alexis and I seriously questioned how smart she was when he turned up at her second location knowing that is was a contrived plot device to cause drama later on but I overlooked it because the reality was these two needed each other badly. They needed another person to listen, to not judge, to accept them scars and all and they needed to know that someone understood just how hard it was to move forward every day.

I felt for both of these characters and their plights. No one should have to make the decision that Alexis did at such a young age yet it was absolutely the only one she could make and when the people who are suppose to love you don't support that decision that makes it ten times harder. It was easy to see how hard it was for Luke living with the horrors of seeing a friend die, of dying on the operating table and of trying every day to put it behind him and be thankful to be alive all while accepting that his life would never be the same.

I loved the intensity of their passion, the absolute way they gave each other everything they had to give and that the bared not only their bodies but their souls to one another and it was easy to see the love building with each passing day.

Their journey together was not easy yet I think the roads they traveled were necessary for them both to believe that despite the obstacles together they could do anything. Emotional, sexy, and adventurous His Lover to Protect is a great addition to this series.

Review copy provided for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Lover to Protect.

Started Reading