Veronica Belmont's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

bookshelves: sword-and-laser, fiction, scifi

There are some books that are called "classics," but you don't really understand why until you read it and feel that you've been changed. You know, for certain, that even though the themes have been played again and again, that the story is as everlasting as the bricks in an ancient abbey.

I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the Sword & Laser recap, but I'm glad that we've also read The Sparrow as an interesting comparison on the themes in both. Fantastic book, even if you don't speak a lick of Latin!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Started Reading
September 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 9, 2015 – Shelved
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: sword-and-laser
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: scifi

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Erik Redin I just wanted to thank you for posting your review so early in the month. I got the audiobook, listened to the first two lines or so delivered in a fashion only slightly more human than a Speak-And-Spell and quickly gave up on CANTICLE. Then you posted your review and, given you're usually not nearly as "rah-rah" on the classics as Tom is, I decided it was worth giving it another chance. Anyway, I ended up really enjoying the book (especially the first story, which is pure brilliance). So, thanks again, never would've given it a chance if I hadn't seen your review.