Mike's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

1940138

bookshelves: sci-fi, print, owned, series
Recommended for: Anyone that likes a fast-paced story

Suzanne Collins is an excellent writer. Perhaps her prose is not a thing of beauty, but her still at crafting an engaging and suspenseful story is impressive.

The first novel in the series was fantastic, a harsh but exciting thrill ride. The second novel, Catching Fire, was really almost as good, but not quite.

The story picks up shortly after The Hunger Games ended and launches us right back into the fractured setting that is Katniss' world. If anything, the stakes seem even higher in Catching Fire. The pace of the novel was breakneck, much like the first, but this time around we got to a better feel for the bigger picture, what's going on in the other Districts.

I am really impressed with the world that Collins had built. The inhabitants are so desperate; the politicians are so corrupt; and the overall situation is so completely dire.

What I didn't love was the ending. I'm not going to given anything away, but I will say that there wasn't a tidy conclusion. A lot of questions were introduced in the final pages and very few were answered. It left me frustrated and I found myself poring over the pages again and again trying to find answers that weren't there. Yes, it does leave me eager to read the next novel for sure, but I thought the ending was needlessly confusing.

You may think by this last paragraph that I didn't like the book. Nothing is farther from the truth. I rant because I liked the novel so much, because I care about the characters and what happens to the them. I did reduce my rating from a 5 to a 4 because of the end, but it won't stop me from reading the final installment or recommending the series to anyone.

Now, go read the darn book if you haven't already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

January 5, 2011 – Shelved