Mike's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

1940138

bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult, print, owned, series

I needed a little time to digest the final book in the Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy before I could write a proper review. After some speculation, I think that I'm okay with the conclusion. I didn't love it the way I wanted to, but it was fitting in a way.

It's a little hard to go into much detail without giving away major plot points, but I think there are some things that I can safely mention. One thing I liked, throughout the series in fact, was that nothing was ever easy. Katniss almost always needed the help of others and/or some serious luck to accomplish her goals (i.e. survive). Even then, there was almost always a price to pay.

One thing I didn't like was how depressing the story got over time. The first novel was actually fairly uplifting, but, by the end, things were pretty bleak and depressing. Katniss is not your typical hero and she didn't always handle difficult situations very well, which could lead to extended periods of dreariness.

However, like the first two novel, Mockingjay was short and to the point. Collins doesn't waste her words. Her sharp, crisp writing style really sucks you in and compels you to keep reading until you are forced to tear yourself away. That was mostly still true in Mockingjay, but not quite so much as in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.

Though I was happy with the final novel for the most part, I couldn't give it 5 stars. The Hunger Games was a 5 star novel for me and Mockingjay simply wasn't as good. Even though the series loses a little bit of its magic as it progresses, I would still recommend it to anyone. It is definitely a well-written, engaging story that truly captures one's imagination.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

January 5, 2011 – Shelved