Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Making Sense of the Bible: One of Seven Parts from Grudem's Systematic Theology

Making Sense of the Bible by Wayne Grudem

19232021

I like Grudem's style. This book is attractive, easy to read, clearly laid out, and includes glosses, pertinent hymns for inspiration and worship, and is written in an approachable stylistic. I deduct one star for the lack of an index, though it pains me to deduct points as I really like this book.

As the title states, this is an excerpt of the main points of the Systematic Theology tome. The positive is the material is provided in bite-sized bits everyone can understand and enjoy. The negative is people are missing out on the details. Thus, I recommend those seeking a fuller treatment of the subject get the full text.

Grudem deals with the Bible as an entity. He covers its contents and attributes in a winsome way. He first supplies an introduction to systematic theology, which is the time to do so. The next part deals with the Bible as the Word of God in written form. Then, he describes the canon of Scripture, its completeness and proper composition. Next, he handles the authority of Scripture. A chapter follows about the inerrancy of Scripture. The clarity, necessity, and sufficiency of Scripture round out the book, all of which are argued in a logical and understandable manner. All of the above are basic doctrines regarding the Bible, but I appreciate the clear manner in which Grudem explains them. Whether this book serves as an introduction or simply a compilation of the major characteristics of the Word, I recommend it to all Christians who want an easy to understand overview of the Bible and its attributes. Unless the reader prefers the full Systematic Theology text, this book will suffice. I look forward to reading more of Grudem's books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Sense of the Bible.

Finished Reading