Tracy's Reviews > The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate

The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

207835

bookshelves: mother-dd-bookclub

4.5 stars. I liked this even better than Calpurnia Tate #1, which is rare for me with a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate.

September 8, 2015 – Started Reading
September 8, 2015 – Shelved
page 3
0.95% "I dreamed of following in Granddaddy's footsteps and becoming a Scientist. Mother, however, had other plans for me; namely, learning the domestic arts and coming out as a debutante at age eighteen, when it was hoped I'd be presentable enough to snag the eye of a prosperous young man of good family."
page 3
0.95% "(This was dubious for many reasons, including the fact that I loathed cooking and sewing, and could not exactly be described as the eye-snagging type.)"
page 90
28.57% "Then he asked me how old I was turning. "Thirteen." "Thirteen, eh? Soon you'll be a young lady." "Please don't say that." "Why not?" "Because girls get to do little enough in this world, and, from what I can tell, young ladies get to do even less.""
page 166
52.7% "I skipped to the kitchen with a light heart. Refreshments for such as important visitor would no doubt include Viola's chocolate layer cake, a sublime confection surpassing all others, and normally available to us children only on special occasions. I figured I could cadge a slice by sticking around to pass the teacups (and cake), and generally imitating a model child."
page 227
72.06% "Now, where was I to find a protractor? Then I realized with a sinking heart that the only one I could think of belonged to that pill Lamar. Ugh. He'd received it last Christmas, along with a compass and a steel ruler in a handsome leather case. (Meanwhile, I got a book called The Science of Housewifery. There was no justice in the world.)"
page 231
73.33% "I thought of the Phoenicians and Egyptians and Vikings, brave men who had steered their ships by the very same star. It was if their hands and hearts and voices reached across the centuries to a girl in Fentress, Texas, who had never seen the sea and probably never would. I felt a part of history and also, truth to tell, a bit sad."
September 10, 2015 – Finished Reading