Og Maciel's Reviews > The Water Knife

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi

12048315
Sep 08, 2015

This is a fast paced, fly from the seat of your pants story about a (not so) far future where the South and most of the West of the United States (and Mexico) is facing a severe water shortage. Places where rivers still flow have started building dams to control the flux of water and taxing those who stand downstream for access to the rights to this vital element. In a ruthless attempt to control who gets this access and settle some ancient ethnic rivalries, those in charge use their influence and muscle to make as much money as possible and get rid of anyone who is not 'local' or has become a pain in their assess.

This book has a bit of everything: ethnic cleansing, blackmail, heaps of dead bodies, mutilation, and yet love and sex (a couple of chapters were pretty steamy if you ask me)! This is my third book by Paolo Bacigalupi, and he did not let me down. With a nice variety of diverse strong characters and dialogues exposing the accents and life styles of the South of the US, I believe that you'll find this book to be an enjoyable ready, even with all the gore and strong language. I gave it a 5 out of 5 stars rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Knife.

September 8, 2015 – Started Reading
September 8, 2015 – Shelved
September 12, 2015 –
page 149
40.16% "Supposed to be futuristic but the way things are in California with their water shortage issues, this almost feel like something happening 20 years from now. Easy read and starting to get me hooked."
September 12, 2015 –
page 245
66.04% "Ok, so it turns out I managed to get some extra time to read and I just couldn't put this book down! It reads like a thriller and at the end of every chapter the plot takes an interesting turn and you're hooked."
September 13, 2015 –
page 312
84.1% "The book gets better and better by the minute. I'm nearly done with it but now I need to go to the supermarket for some groceries."
September 13, 2015 – Finished Reading