Carrie's Reviews > All Is Not Forgotten

All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy   Walker

bookshelves: netgalley

All is Not Forgotten tells the story of young Jenny Kramer who was brutally attacked and raped when she attended a high school party. Jenny had gotten upset and wandered out into the woods to be alone and cry when the unthinkable happens. Jenny's attack shakes up the small town of Fairview, Connecticut where everyone knows everyone and strangers would be noticed so who could have done this unthinkable crime?

After the horrific event Jenny is given a controversial drug to medically erase her memory of the violent assault. In the months following her body begins to heal and she has no memory of the event but the emotional turmoil remains. Her father is obsessed with finding justice for his daughter and tracking down the attacker and her mother likes to hide in her little bubble and pretend the event never happened.

Told from the point of view of the therapist dealing with the aftermath of the brutal attack All is Not Forgotten is a bit different in that way. The story started out with the recounts of the attack then becomes involved with Jenny and those surrounding her coming to terms with what had happened.

The beginning of this book is quite gruesome and shocking but then after the first few pages the story started taking on a duller tone to me from the way it's told. There was often a lot of clinical and technical talk as the therapy type of story telling took over. A part of me was tempted to put the book to the side and pick up something else but all of the four and five star reviews had me curious as to what I'd be missing if I did.

Midway through this story the therapist narrating the story really became a completely dislikable character to me but when that happened my curiosity shot up and the story became more compelling from that point on. There were a lot of twists and turns and the second half of the book became one that I did not want to put down until I finished the story and knew what exactly had happened.

In the end I'd give this one 3.5 stars. A slow starter in my opinion but it still hooked me into the story eventually.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Is Not Forgotten.

September 8, 2015 – Shelved