Dorie - Traveling Sister :)'s Reviews > The Gates of Evangeline

The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young

bookshelves: netgalley

Hard for me to believe that this is a debut novel. It’s actually the first real gothic mystery that I’ve ever read and I thought it was very, very well done. I wasn’t sure initially if it would be too sad because the subject includes the death of children, but it is woven into the story in such a way that I was committed to finding out what happened to a little boy who has been missing for 30 years.

Charlie Gates is mourning the death of her 3 year old son who died unexpectedly of an aneurysm. In the beginning Charlie is having dreams of children who seem to be reaching out to her. At first she attributes it to the death of her child but then she begins to feel that she is being told these clues to help solve a mystery.

As she begins to rebuild her life Charlie, an accomplished journalist, takes a job for “Cold Crimes Magazine” in Louisiana where she meets the wealthy and eccentric Deveau family. It is the youngest son that had gone missing and his twin sisters have never given up wanting answers. The plot has a very distinct atmospheric feeling, it even has an old mansion, a family dynasty and lots of twists and secrets.

For Charlie there is also a romantic element. She begins to see the handsome landscaper who is the grandson of Gabriel (the missing boy’s) nanny. I’m not sure if I thought this romantic aside was needed in the plot, but there it is.

She gets a lot of help from the local policeman and his wife. She continues to have prophetic dreams and doesn’t know who she can trust. I did begin to guess where the plot was going but it didn’t stop me from enjoying the rest of the book.

What I enjoyed the most was just getting to know Charlie herself who was an interesting and well rounded character. I could feel her grief and also her strong will to carry on and maybe help someone else solve the mystery of the missing little boy and bring closure to the family.

My feeling is that this is a solid gothic mystery although I’m not a huge reader of the genre. It kept me interested and I kept coming back to it quickly to get to the big reveal.

Thanks you to Penguin Group Putnam and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this classic gothic mystery in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gates of Evangeline.

September 7, 2015 – Shelved