Bradley's Reviews > The Nightmare Stacks

The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross

bookshelves: sci-fi, horror, cthulhu-goes-ph-nglui-mglw-nafh-ct, reality-bending, 2016-shelf, 2018-shelf
Read 2 times. Last read July 19, 2018 to July 20, 2018.

Re-read 7/20/18:

I really can't squeal more than I squealed the first time around, but I will add that it's STILL AS GOOD AS THE FIRST TIME. I love Alex! I love Cassie! And of course, the whole setup and denouement was fantastic!

I mean, just the whole horrific action scenes, the stark immediacy of being a victim of genocide, doing everything possible to save your people, including an ignorant invasion of Earth... I GET IT. The possibilities after that end, though... that's what sticks with me. Spoilers, of course, but it's the whole refugee status that kicks my butt. Never mind the outright funny elements, although they are great. At the core, this novel is extremely serious. And for the action, it's a ramp-up on the epic scale brought home to London.

Original Review:

I'm always looking forward to the Laundry Files novels, now, and with good reason.

These tales always breathe fresh life into old story concepts.

Mix a bunch of nightmare bureaucracy into a mass of Cthulhu Spy Fiction and add a memBrain of multiverses, massive geek humor, Pinky and Brains, and a truly clever take on vampirism/magus, but in this one, let's mix in a younger protagonist, the redoubtable 24 year old vampire math geek, Alex, and pretty spearhead of a nearly decimated alien invasion force who happen to be running for their lives from the Elder Gods, all of whom are willing to go to war with innocents for their ultimate survival (with England an the rest of humanity, please read,) and be a woman who just happens to be up in line for the rulership of the entire alien Host of Air and Darkness, full of eldritch magic and might.

Is Alex out of his league?

CASE NIGHTMARE RED, people. CASE NIGHTMARE RED.

I love this. It is sooooo damn fun. Okay, so I miss Bob and Mo a bit, and they're somewhere in the background, but Alex and Cass are soooooo damn cute together! Younger crowd. A little blood, a little war, a little mess-up with the Basilisk network that turns all security cameras into Medusa's Stare, *shiver*, and we've got an all-out conflict that's actually a real nightmare.

Is this fine to read as a standalone? Yes, it is. Is it scary for the crowd that has been reading all the novels and great novellas up to date? Yes, yes it is. Very much so. Every page is full of deliciously savvy tech, math, magic, myth, and wry, dry humor.

Fanboy is still squeeing. :) :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightmare Stacks.

September 7, 2015 – Shelved
October 26, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-shelf
July 19, 2018 – Started Reading
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-shelf
July 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Alexey PLAN RED RABBIT is in effect, Brad. I confirm, "PLAN RED RABBIT" :D
That was the most hilarious moment for me. And dinner with parents.

Bradley Oh god. No. NO!!!!!!!!!! :)

And to think that this was also a love story. *shiver* A dry, end of the world, romance. :) My god I kinda want to do a full re-read of the series from the start again. :) Case Nightmare Green has NOTHING on Plan Red Rabbit. :)

Trish Yeah, the refugee act she used ... *lol* That was seriously funny. Because we can't accept mages from an alternative Earth unless they cite the right laws and regulations. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bradley Right!!!? lol

message 5: by Trish (last edited Jul 20, 2018 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trish As for Red Rabbit, isn't that from Tom Clancy? The one where Jack Ryan has to stop the KGB from assassinating the newly elected Pope? Originally, I mean.

And yes, the dinner scene was probably the best one here.

Bradley I honestly don't know anything about the Clancy reference, sadly. ; ;

Trish I think that's where I heard it first because I got confused and then noticed that Stroos means it SLIGHTLY differently. *lol*

Bradley lol indeed :)