Angie McLain-Fan Girl Book Blog's Reviews > The Air He Breathes

The Air He Breathes by Brittainy C. Cherry

11973963
6 STARS – A second chance romance that will engrain itself in your heart and soul.

“You know that place between nightmares and dreams? The place where tomorrows never come and yesterdays don't hurt anymore? The place where your heart beats in sync with mine? The place where time doesn't exist and it's easy to breathe? I want to live there with you.”

I saw this book being blasted all over Facebook and I one clicked it at first simply because of the book cover; I mean have you seen it??? Covergasm much?!?! Then I read the blurb and I could not wait to sink into it. I put it on my TBR and patiently waited for a time when I could read it, and Oh My God I’m so incredibly glad I did.

“Sometimes tomorrow never comes and you're only left with the memories of yesterdays.”

The Air He Breathes is one of those books that is going to throw you into an emotional tailspin. The feels start from the very beginning, shattering your heart into little tiny unrecognizable pieces, weeping and sniveling like you’d lost someone you yourself love. The characters automatically worm their way into your heart and soul, just for the simple reason that they are so incredibly well written. They are real, every emotion, every thought, fear, and insecurity. You not only feel their losses and grief but their elation, you live it and through it. I fell in love with Elizabeth, Emma, Tristan, and Faye so hard. Their story, even more so, such unimaginable loss is hard to even fathom. The struggle to just live afterwards must feel like the equivalent to climbing Everest.

“You don’t have to be good all the times. It’s okay to be hurt sometimes. It’s okay to feel lost like you’re wandering around in the dark. It’s the bad days that make the good ones so much better.”

Somehow throughout the course of the story I had my heart broken like 10 ten times, then immediately afterwards I would be laughing so hard I had a different kind of tears running down my face. It was a ride that was truly exhausting and wonderful at the same time. By the time I crossed the finish line, I was emotionally spent. The prose was astounding it made taking a break or walking away inconceivable. You’ll need a block of time specifically set aside to read before you go into this book, you MUST read it in one sitting. It’s going to make you feel in ways you may not have known you were capable of. The emotions that flow throughout are pure, raw, and tough to read at some points, but it’s so worth it in the end. Every tear, every sniffle, every lump in your throat, the struggle to breathe through the agony of loss, WORTH IT! The story was brilliant and inspiring, I will not go into details because that would ruin some of the magic, but I found myself reading it and wondering how I would cope with such tragedy and then aspiring to be like Tristan and Elizabeth. Somehow through the pain, they found the will to take their next breaths, and that alone deserves admiration in my mind.

“Even though I was death, she took the time to resuscitate me. She breathed life back into my soul. She brought me back from the shadows.”

“You’re beautiful. You’re a beautiful, broken kind of monster.”

The Air He Breathes is going to take you into a world where the struggle is real, all of it, from start to finish. It’s unrelenting in its quest to make you feel, feel and feel some more. One of the best books that I’ve had the pleasure of reading this year, maybe even ever it’s made me an instant fangirl of Brittainy’s and I will be adding all of her other books to my TBR this very second. If this book has not yet caught your eye, or landed on your TBR and e-reader it needs to right now. Don’t think, just do it. When you go in, get yourself a big fuzzy blanket, a comfy chair, a BIG box of Kleenex, chocolate and alcohol, I recommend wine, but that’s because I love my wine ALMOST as much as I love my books. Once you’ve read it do everyone a favor and leave a review. Tell your friends, tell strangers, tell everyone, because this book deserves it and the author deserves it for creating such a beautiful and emotional experience. I didn’t just highlight lines in this one, I highlighted entire scenes, pages even, (over 100 btw) just so that I could re-visit them and feel all over again… yeah I’m that guy, NO JUDGING!

“Show me the part of you that you try to keep buried. Show me
where it hurts the most. I want to see your soul.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Air He Breathes.

Quotes Angie McLain-Fan Girl Book Blog Liked

Brittainy C. Cherry
“You know that place in between nightmares and dreams? The place where tomorrows never come and yesterdays don’t hurt anymore? The place where your heart beats in sync with mine? The place where time doesn’t exist, and it’s easy to breathe? I want to live there with you. –TC”
Brittainy C. Cherry, The Air He Breathes

Brittainy C. Cherry
“Okay, bye, ladies!” Susan said, waving to Emma and me as we left her house. “Remember, in two weeks make sure you’ve read Fifty Shades of Grey! And bring notes!” I waved goodbye to everyone. By the end of the night, we hadn’t spoken one word about Little Women, but I felt extremely belittled by these women.”
Brittainy C. Cherry, The Air He Breathes