Emily Selleck's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

liked it
bookshelves: book-club-read, nonfiction, modern, digital

As I said in my updates while reading this book, it was kind of off-and-on for me. The first half was wonderful, I really loved the introduction of the quirky characters and the thoughts from the trail. But toward the middle/end, it started to slow down and get, quite frankly, depressing. All the interesting characters were gone, the momentum was lost (since they didn't actually hike the entire trail, which I understand why they didn't but it was still a disappointment), and the book sort of turned into a doomsday prediction of Nature being lost and destroyed. I'm not arguing that Nature isn't being lost and destroyed. It just wasn't what I signed up for when I started reading. It got a little better toward the end with the return of Katz (such a goofball, I love that guy :P), but not enough that it redeemed the book in my eyes. It wasn't terrible, but not the greatest either. I'm gonna watch the movie and see what they keep in :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.

September 7, 2015 – Started Reading
September 7, 2015 –
September 7, 2015 –
September 15, 2015 –
September 24, 2015 –
62.0% "Coming back to this book after a little bit of a break, I'm surprised to discover that I'm a little disappointed by it. There's a lot of interesting information and I love the author's voice, but sometimes his pessimism is a little depressing. And then sometimes he seems so buoyantly optimistic! I just can't pin him down. It's odd."
October 6, 2015 –
67.0% "Alright, I think I've figured out what the problem is. I miss Katz. I hope he's coming back soon :)"
October 6, 2015 –
69.0% "And just like that, Chicken John has restored my faith in this book :P"
October 7, 2015 –