Mario Cardile's Reviews > Hope - The Ambit of Light.

Hope - The Ambit of Light. by Deby Adair

M 50x66

When I finished reading Hope-The Ambit of Light, by Deby Adair, I wished there was more to read. What I read was very satisfying, but I wished there was more. That's just how good books make you feel. And Hope is a great book. Intrigued, then captivated, there was no way this book was going to take a long time to read.
Now I'm looking forward to the next one.

The language in Hope is sheer delight. The sentences, structured with such artful but unobtrusive skill, float with an effortless flow, like a beautiful piece of music. I savoured its crispness and smoothness. But while the language engages and gratifies your aesthetic soul, the story engages your mind, stimulating imaginings and emotions. The characters, including some new or in a new form, cannot leave you indifferent, for they are too real, poignant and vibrant for that. They will captivate, but the capture is effortless as nothing is ostentatious or overdone.

You feel instant affection, interest, concern and admiration for the characters you already know -like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in years but feel totally familiar with, after only a few seconds into the reunion. And the new characters are tantalisingly introduced, and I ask myself, "Who is this person?", "Who or what is this creature?", "How do they fit into the tale?". But these questions don't break the flow, rather, they pull you along.

The dialogue is expertly handled. There are even sections of internal dialogue: appropriate and effective. And the descriptions, the descriptions, so vivid and lyrical. Your senses are deliciously engaged as you see the sights, feel the emotions. The depiction of an unusual or unexpected sight, sequence or event, can be so visually vibrant; and you find yourself inside a stunningly colourful, phantasmagoric, hair-raising, mesmerising scene. But the story doesn't tarry, it moves along and takes you with it, arousing and sustaining your interest, as the subplots diverge and converge.

There is an epic grandeur to the heroes and their tasks, but no lapse into pompous over-seriousness. The telling detail of the moment, the intimate thought of the moment, the emotion of the moment, keep it real and animate; while the story develops, unfolds, tenses and resolves.

This book can, and will be, read and understood on many levels. You are being enlightened as you're enjoying being stimulated and entertained. It's an exhilarating ride, a marvellous read for young and adult alike.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope - The Ambit of Light..

Started Reading
September 4, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 7, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mario Cardile I have just finished reading Hope-The Ambit of Light, by Deby Adair. I wish there was more to read: that's just how good books make you feel. And Hope is a great book. Intrigued, then captivated, there was no way this book was going to take a long time to read.

The language is a delight. The sentences, structured with such artful but unobtrusive skill, float you along its effortless flow, like a beautiful piece of music. But while the language engages and gratifies your aesthetic soul, the story engages your mind, stimulating imaginings and emotions. The characters, including some new or in a new form, cannot leave you indifferent, for they are too real, poignant and vibrant for that. They will capture you. And you're captured effortlessly, as nothing is ostentatious or overdone.

You feel instant affection, interest, concern and admiration for the characters you already know - as with an old friend you haven't seen in years but feel totally familiar with, after only a few seconds in the reunion. And the new characters are tantalisingly introduced, and I ask myself, "Who is this person?", "Who or what is this creature?", "How do they fit into the tale?". But these questions don't break the flow, rather, they pull you along.

The dialogue is expertly handled. There are even sections of internal dialogue: appropriate and effective. And the descriptions, the descriptions, so vivid and lyrical. Your senses are deliciously engaged as you see the sights, feel the emotions. The depictions of an unusual or unexpected sight or sequence can be so visually vibrant, you sometimes find yourself inside a stunningly colourful, phantasmagoric, hair-raising, mesmerising scene. But the story moves along, arousing and sustaining your interest, as the subplots diverge and converge.

This book can,and will be, read and understood on many levels. You are being enlightened even while you're enjoying being stimulated and entertained. It's an exhilarating ride, a marvellous read for young and adult alike.

message 2: by Deby (new) - added it

Deby Adair Thank you, Mario! It's a real pleasure to write a book and to have a reader enjoy it so much. Thank you for your lovely review and for purchasing 'HOPE'!