Edward Lorn's Reviews > Stand-Off

Stand-Off by Andrew  Smith

WINNER: BEST SEQUEL OF 2015!

Andrew Smith is one of my new favorite authors, and Ryan Dean West is one of my favorite fictional characters because he doesn't feel like a fictional character. He deals with real problems and usually fucks up because he's human. There's a big difference between Winger and Stand-Off, but that's not a bad thing.

Stand-Off reminded me a lot of the video game Bully, whereas Winger reminded me of that eighties flick Lucas. Who out there remembers Lucas? Corey Haim and Kerri Green, and Charlie Sheen before he started banging coke and hookers in equal amounts? #tigerblood #duhwinning

Winger was a wonderful novel that had an unforeseen outcome. In Stand-Off, I expected the same thing. I will not spoil the novel for you by telling you the ending, but I was taken aback by how poignant and hopeful it is in comparison to how soul-crushing the first book was. What I can say is that Stand-Off is the complete opposite of Winger, yet it retains everything I loved about the first book. I don't see how Smith could do a third book, seeing as how this was Ryan Dean's last year at Pine Mountain, and that breaks my heart. I would love more from these characters.

I was glad to see Annie and Seanie return. Spotted John was a trip, and in my opinion, wins the book. He reminded me quite a bit of Red in The Shawshank Redemption with how he could get his hands on anything. I even liked the Abernathy. The character development between Sam and Ryan Dean was handled very well. Their interactions were highlights for me. The dialogue assignment they do had me busting a gut... Do yourself a favor, just read it.

If someone were to ask me if they could read one book without the other, I'd have to say no. To receive the full effect of Stand-Off, you most definitely need to read Winger first. You won't necessarily be lost if you skip the first book, but the second book will certainly not have the same emotional impact if you decide to skip Winger. Likewise, if you've read Winger, you really should read Stand-off. Yes, they compliment each other that well.

In summation: I can't find a single negative thing to say about this book or any of its characters. It isn't as tear-inducing as its predecessor, but I think that helped in making Stand-Off its own thing. For what it lacks in sad happenings it makes up for in good times. Highly recommended.

Final Judgment: Sometimes, you just need a little comedy in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stand-Off.

September 6, 2015 – Shelved
September 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 8, 2015 – Started Reading
September 8, 2015 –
page 1
0.25% "Let's do this!"
September 8, 2015 –
page 68
16.96% "Fun, fun, and more fun. After the last three reads I had, I need some fun in my life. \n \n This isn't brilliant. It isn't earth-shatteringly original. It won't blow a part in your hair. But it is damn fun. I've laughed out loud at least once every chapter. \n \n Did I mention this book is fun."
September 11, 2015 –
page 151
37.66% "Andrew Smith can make you laugh one moment and tear up the next. I'm really enjoying this. So far, it's just as good as the first book."
September 12, 2015 –
page 219
54.61% "My favorite character so far is Spotted John. I love how he can get whatever he wants into the school without any explanation of how. :)"
September 12, 2015 –
page 283
70.57% "I don't want this one to end, but I can't seem to put it down for longer than a few minutes."
September 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Edward Lorn Winger was one of my favorite reads of last year. Pre-ordered. Waiting.

message 2: by Licha (last edited Sep 14, 2015 12:39AM) (new)

Licha Well, thanks Edward. I just spent two hours reading up and you-tubing Corey Haim thanks to your review and the mention of Lucas, which led me to the other Corey, Robert Downey Jr., Satanism, the Illuminati, Charlie Sheen (ew!), and other stuff.

How did I not remember Corey had died? I felt a bit of a punch to the stomach almost like hearing it for the first time.

That was some heavy stuff I found there. Poor Corey. Now I just want to go and watch Lucas and remember Corey as he once was.

Edward Lorn I think I'll do the same.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) You win the internet with the Lucas reference.

"Luke, Luke, Luke, Luke - get that ball away and puke!"

Edward Lorn I frackin' love that movie. Probably why I like these books so much.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I need to track down a copy and make my kids watch it. The oldest is a teenager (therefore a douche 50% of the time) and will probably refuse to watch it, but I bet the little one would love it.

Edward Lorn See also: Rudy :)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Okay, that's the one where my lack of penis comes in to play. I HATE Rudy.

Edward Lorn LOL! But it promotes that Can-Do Attitude! :P