Kat Childress's Reviews > All By My Selves: Walter, Peanut, Achmed, and Me

All By My Selves by Jeff Dunham

bookshelves: auto-biography
Recommended for: Jeff Dunham fans, autobiography fan, comedy fans

I've had Jeff Dunham's autobiography, All By My Selves, sitting on my "to read" shelf for quite some time. I have no other reason for not getting to it sooner other than time and "not being in a biography mood". Luckily, the stars aligned and I read the book.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that it only took me about 2 days to read it. The text was easy to digest, the content was entertaining, and, well, I enjoyed hearing the character's voices in my head.

I've been a fan of Jeff Dunham since I nearly died laughing one night when I saw Arguing with Myself on Comedy Central. I could barely breathe...the dummies seemed so real and the jokes were great. The more I rewatched Arguing with Myself, the more mesmerized I became with the technology of Dunham's dummies.

In his book, Dunham talks about how he got started in ventriloquism and the long, arduous road he traveled on to become the international comedian he is today. He explained all the lessons he learned, his successes, and failures. He wasn't an overnight YouTube sensation--he worked his way up, gig by gig, making sacrifices, and putting in long hours.

Dunham also explains the technology that goes into ventriloquism. He explained (roughly) how he can produce sounds that involve the lips without moving the lips. There were also sections that explained the differences in the type of dummies (the proper term is actually figures) he has and how the figures actually function.

The book was unique in that there were sections in which the figures jumped in and gave their 2 cents on the current conversation. They were represented by a graphic and their name. In fact, even Dunham jumped in on the fun here and there.

All By My Selves is a must for any Dunham or ventriloquism fan. I truly enjoyed the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All By My Selves.

September 5, 2015 – Started Reading