Pamela's Reviews > Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two

Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac

20048096

bookshelves: american-indians, culture, historical-fiction, history, military-fiction, own, race-relations, war, young-adult

"We were proud to be Marines and even prouder of the role that we had been chosen to play . . ."

Multicultural and historically rich with truth and relevance. Solid engaging storytelling, but with a few editing foibles. Bruchac's engaging novel, told through the voice of a grandfather to his grandchildren, utilizes simplistic and relatively clean language/imagery geared toward upper-middle-grades through young adults. All ages, however, can enjoy and benefit reading of the courageous Navajo Code Talkers who have had very little recognition for their highly important role in World War Two.

"I had many friends - too many friends. I say "too many" because having a lot of friends during war can be a painful thing . . . That guy who shared a canteen of water with you, who teased you about your fear of snakes, or showed you pictures of his mother and father, can vanish in one moment as brief and shocking as a flash of lightening."

Bruchac writes objectively and compassionately. Neither sugar-coating the realities of war, nor overemphasizing the gruesome tragedies. He stays primarily on-point, with related topics/peoples/events/places touched upon here and there as appropriate.

"Never think that war is a good thing, grandchildren. Though it may be necessary at times . . . war is a sickness that must be cured. War is a time out of balance. When it is truly over, we must work to restore peace and sacred harmony once again."

Overall, four solid stars, from an adult perspective. Youth looking for an action/adventure novel, however, may be a bit underwhelmed as it's fairly heavy in history-infused storytelling and light in descriptive action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Talker.

September 6, 2015 – Started Reading
page 183
September 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 9, 2015 –
page 235
97.92% "I'm finished, basically. Good, solid read.... Review soon to come."