Julian Neuer's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Sep 06, 2015

bookshelves: drama, romance

Murakami's fiction is delightful, whether he's writing magical realism or a fake autobiography like this one. His style is the same in both genres: the trippy similes, the rich descriptions, the flights of introspection by the characters, the symbolism. That the narrative is first-person and that the book is just one long chapter -- as opposed to the omniscient third person narrator and the sequences of intertwined chapters in his other novels -- only strengthen the impact of the story.

Also delightful is that we are transported back to a time when people wrote letters -- the kind where we put pen to paper, the kind we had to stick in an envelope, go to to a post office or to a mailbox to send and wait for days until we got a reply, and precisely because so much time and effort were required, we tended to invest so much more of ourselves in the letters, working our thoughts onto the pages the way a painter works his vision onto the canvas. What a welcome break from today's shallow exchanges on the internet.

I found the letters included in the text of the novel real masterpieces; they contain deep, touching reflections on the inner worlds of the characters.

Finally, I was impressed by the way the characters dealt with sex. I know the Japanese culture can be repressive and prudish, but the young people in this novel show a no-nonsense attitude in this respect. Could it be because they were living in the 1960's?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.

September 6, 2015 – Shelved
September 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 22, 2015 – Started Reading
November 22, 2015 –
November 22, 2015 –
15.0% "No chapters. The narrative just flows. 1st person. Flashbacks. Narrator is writing so as not to forget. Couldn't write before."
November 29, 2015 –