Og Maciel's Reviews > Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu

Buddha, Vol. 1 by Osamu Tezuka

12048315
Sep 06, 2015

Not really knowing anything about Buddha or Buddhism, this graphic novel was a great way for me to learn a bit about this very famous historical figure. Though I'm not a fan of the manga-style drawings, I believe that it was a valid choice to lighten up a story so filled with details and "mythological" events that supposedly let to formation of its main character.

This first book (I believe there are six or seven more) introduces us to two interesting characters: Chapra the slave and Tatta the pariah. Those were tumultuous and war-ridden times and through both Chapra and Tatta we get a taste of what it was like to be of a lower class in those days. Are Chapra and Tatta fictional characters (Tatta has the power of possessing other animals and throughout the book uses this ability to save Chapra's life a couple of times) used to illustrate something? Will one of them become the Buddha? I can't say for sure yet. Since this is only the first book of the series, I am avoiding reading much about it to avoid spoilers, but I think it safe to say that I will pick up the second one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddha, Vol. 1.

September 6, 2015 – Started Reading