Nia's Reviews > Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change

Don't Even Think About It by George  Marshall

This book presents very well-developed and digestible ways of thinking about human impact on our environment, and offers plausible actions and attitudes which can be adopted not only to help reduce bad effects but also to change the discussions around the topic to include more than just left-wing environmentalists. Therefore this is the one and only book review where I am rating the content rather than my personal experience reading the book--it's the perfect read for anyone who does not personally identify with the very vocal climate change evangelists but still thinks there is work to be done. So I am giving a 5-star rating to help this book stand out from the clutter!

As far as my personal experience actually reading, I'd say it was more three-star if I'm honest. I can see why some might be tempted to put this in the 'read the first & last chapters, skim through the middle' category but I'm glad I didn't. 'The middle' provides a lot of excellent support for the conclusions in the final chapters, and to be honest the conclusions would probably feel like fluffy nonsense without that support. One thing that is lacking from the book is concrete guidance on HOW to actually do the things he concludes in the end. And since it's a lot to ask, it left me feeling a bit that it's still a difficult problem to solve if not impossible.

BUT, regardless of this I do feel that the content of this book is a very positive stepping stone for further research and personal action. So I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Even Think About It.

September 6, 2015 – Started Reading