Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18)'s Reviews > The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of Anastasia

The Diamond Secret by Suzanne Weyn

45204471
How about NO. Diamonds are cliche. What kind of title is that?

Anastasia was actually not a fairy tale.

[If you can't tell, the Romanovs are rolling in their graves.]

A copy

of a more inaccurate copy

of a romanticised copy

of an impostor

to the real thing

I didn't actually read it because my library doesn't have it, but I've read the bad reviews, not to mention the way the sampler reads.
"The White Russian Army is coming to save us, just as father said they would," Olga told her, giddy with excitement.

"We're going to be out of this awful place soom!" Mashka exulted.

"It's better here than it was in Siberia," Anastasia pointed out as she swung her bare feet onto the cold wooden floor.

"But not mearly as good as it was in at the palace," Olga countered.
Okay, so this book sticks closer to history than the Fox film, it looks like, but doesn't the writing make you cringe (I mean, unless you're a middle school English teacher who's used to this kind of writing)? And also, if you've researched far enough to know that they were executed in Ekaterinburg, about the Red/White army thing, and the fact that Maria was called Mashka, it's one step more of research to discover that by this point in time, they knew that if the White army was coming, they Reds would shoot them, and that they were sure they would never go back to the palace. Not only that, but the all the sisters act as if they were twelve, when history will easily tell you that Olga was almost 23, Tatiana 21, Maria 19, and Anastasia 17. Come on, do the math.
You're not writing a film for a bunch of three-to-seven-year-olds, so can't you stop the happy-clappy crap?
I will not be reading any more than the preview of this.

Oh yeah, and diamonds are cliche. Did I say that?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond Secret.

September 5, 2015 – Shelved
September 5, 2015 – Shelved as: a-page-or-two
September 5, 2015 – Shelved as: a-page-or-two
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: set-aside-or-quick-dnf
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: russia-magical-unicorn-kingdom
September 9, 2015 – Shelved as: pretty-dress
June 14, 2016 – Shelved as: left-behind

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Abby-Rose Margarida Sparrow This book wasn't TOO bad. I was a cheesed off when I read it the first time, but found it weirdly enjoyable during a re-reading recently. There are way worse books about Anastasia out there. And some parts of the writing do lean towards cringe-worthy but not as much as you think -- it goes get better and the story itself is, dare I say it? Kind of good. Especially if you liked the recent broadway play.