Bj's Reviews > Autumn Duchess

Autumn Duchess by Lucinda Brant

bookshelves: arc, audiobooks, audible-tantor-downpour-library, 2015, 5-stars, historical-romance

*I gave this audiobook an A+ for the narration and A for the story at AudioGals*

If you listen to only one historical romance all year, I highly recommend that it be Autumn Duchess! Wow, this story blew me away! Not only does it sport one of the best narrations I have ever listened to – I will definitely be seeking out more of Alex Wyndham’s narrations in the future! – but it also brings to the table a fantastically developed historical romance with real depth to its plot and a heartfelt, unique romance. In that regard, I will note that one of the features that I look for in a “A” rated story is a fresh, unusual twist or at least a new to me angle that makes the romance stand out. When you read and listen to as many romances as I do, I find that this is an essential ingredient to reinvigorating my insatiable lust and appetite for romances; otherwise it is just too easy to fall into a reading/listening rut. Well, Autumn Duchess brings this fresh perspective to the forefront in spades!

For one, not only does Autumn Duchess feature an older heroine by today’s romance standards (by my count the heroine is around 49 years old, as her son is about 30 and she had him at 19), but it also features a younger (late thirty-something) hero by comparison. I also enjoyed the interplay between the various family members, which demonstrated the plight of women living in the 1700s and how vulnerable women truly were to the dictates of the male heirs in their families. This includes the heroine’s oldest son, the new Duke of Roxton (Julian, the hero of Midnight Marriage, the 2nd book in the Roxton Family Saga) who in his determination to “take care of his mother” perhaps does her the greatest injustice of all. Then there is a cast of cousins and the hero’s own daughter who add further depth, intrigue and complexity to this already well done story.

See the full review at AudioGals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn Duchess.

September 5, 2015 – Shelved
November 2, 2015 – Started Reading
November 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Caz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caz Heh. Another convert to the deliciousness that is the voice of Alex Wyndham!

message 2: by Chocalicious (new)

Chocalicious Love I'm intrigued, BJ! Great review. Is this a standalone?

message 3: by Caz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caz Chocalicious wrote: "I'm intrigued, BJ! Great review. Is this a standalone?"

It can be read/listened to as a standalone, although personally, I think it works best as part of the series.

message 4: by Chocalicious (new)

Chocalicious Love thanks, Caz! :-)

message 5: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Caz wrote: "Heh. Another convert to the deliciousness that is the voice of Alex Wyndham!"

Sure am!! I can't wait to experience more of the Brant/Wyndham team: )

message 6: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Chocalicious wrote: "I'm intrigued, BJ! Great review. Is this a standalone?"

Sorry, I missed this comment earlier. This is the only book I've read/listened to in the series and I had no trouble following the plot. However, as Caz correctly notes it probably works best as part of the series as the heroine is first introduced in, and is the heroine of, Book 1 Noble Satyr.