Julie's Reviews > Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights

Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights by Salman Rushdie

it was ok

This was especially disappointing because the premise was wonderful. I would have stopped reading entirely at 63%, but the sunk cost was too high. Instead, I slogged through the inconsistencies and some of the sloppiest published writing I've ever read. I don't mind meandering; there are times I love it. This isn't that. I don't mind loose Kerouac or weird Joyce. This also isn't that. This read like someone banged out an entire first draft all in one long breath and didn't bother to take the time to pull and shape and trim, and just dumped the whole thing into my reader as if it were done baking. It actually made me angry, and I'm very glad I borrowed this rather than bought it or I'd have been furious.

Having said all that, 2 stars because it's a good first draft. There were interesting things flying by the window that I tried to capture, but Rushdie had already turned the corner and forgotten what he'd said. I've been bummed out by Rushdie's promise vs presentation before, and I won't be tricked by the cool concept and let down by the execution again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Years Eight Months and Twenty-Eight Nights.

September 5, 2015 – Shelved