Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > Did You Ever Have a Family

Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg

bookshelves: favorites, read-2015, netgalleyhatesme
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Ryan Dejonghe

Rough as life can be, I know in my bones we are supposed to stick around and play our part. Even if that part is coughing to death from cigarettes, or being blown up young in a house with your mother watching. And even if it's to be that mother. Someone down the line might need to know you got through it.

June Reid's daughter Lolly, Lolly's fiance Will, her ex-husband and her now boyfriend Luke are killed in a fire while June has to watch. It's on the eve of her daughter's wedding.
The aftermath with the small town gossip about it possibly being Luke's fault since he is the half-black bastard son, who lost his college scholarship and went to jail for drug sales start buzzing. His mom Lydia is also left behind. She has always steeled herself from the talk in town. How otherwise would she have survived having a black child when at the time she was married to an abusive white man?

This book.
It's told from multiple viewpoints and sometimes that doesn't work for a story. This one is done so very right though. The characters in this book seem human and real. I feel like I could reach into the book and touch them. They are not always like-able. They have so many flaws. Like in the case of Lydia, your heart breaks for this woman but then you learn her story and I wanted to rage at her. I couldn't though because by then she was family.

And it might be you never know the part you played, what it meant to someone to watch you make your way each day. Maybe someone or something is watching us all make our way. I don't think we get to know why.

These characters will stay with a reader for a long time. Or at least this reader will carry them.

This story makes the reader realize that no matter how small a life or a decision might be that it touches multiple lives.

Probably, there will always be wrinkled noses, folks who make jokes about the Moonstone dykes or the little boy on the rez who likes to wear his mom's earrings, or me, the half-breed, bastard bitch who lives with her sisters. It stops when we die and goes on for those we leave behind. All we can do is play our parts and keep each other company.

Booksource: Gifted from a friend. Thank you so very much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Did You Ever Have a Family.

September 4, 2015 – Shelved
September 8, 2015 – Started Reading
September 8, 2015 –
page 1
0.34% "YES!!! I have the bestest GR friends ever!!!\n "
September 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna OMG!! Those dogs are so cute!!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "OMG!! Those dogs are so cute!!!"

I couldn't resist them. :)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog HAHAHHAHA!!
xoxoxo

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "HAHAHHAHA!!
xoxoxo"

I want them. I should be able to squeeze four more superhero doggies in around here. *don't tell my husband*

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "HAHAHHAHA!!
xoxoxo"

I want them. I should be able to squeeze four more superhero..."

HAHAHAHAH!!
This is why I like you so much.
You are such a huge animal lover!!
I would love to have some more pups too!
I'd like to have at least three!!

Jennifer Masterson Oh hurray! I can't wait for your review on this one! :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Malcolm and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "HAHAHHAHA!!

I want them. I sh..."

Me too. Then I would have to get another couch. These little mutts take over the couch so bad that I'm about to have to start sitting on the floor.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Oh hurray! I can't wait for your review on this one! :D"

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Oh hurray! I can't wait for your review on this one! :D"

I'm so in to this book. I stopped reading last night because I didn't want it to end."

Im so glad to hear! I can't wait to read what you write about Lydia in your review. I just can't get that character out of my head!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Oh hurray! I can't wait for your review on this one! :D"

She is the one that is completely breaking me. This book should get all the hype. I love it.

Jennifer Masterson Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Oh hurray! I can't wait for your review on this one! :D"

I'm so in to this book. I stopped reading last night because ..."

I agree about that it deserves all the hype!

message 12: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Such a lovely review.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Susan wrote: "Such a lovely review."

Thanks Susan :)

Jennifer Masterson What a fantastic review Shelby! The Adele pic was so great! :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "What a fantastic review Shelby! The Adele pic was so great! :)"

Thank you Jennifer! There really were not many that fit this book. <3

message 16: by Cathie (new) - added it

Cathie I so want to read this now. Thanks for your great review :-)

message 17: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan May Cathie wrote: "I so want to read this now. Thanks for your great review :-)"

I want to read too. *slings another must read book on the pile*

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Great review :)

message 19: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Awesome review hun!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Cathie wrote: "I so want to read this now. Thanks for your great review :-)"

Yes! It's such a good one. Thank you.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Susan wrote: "Cathie wrote: "I so want to read this now. Thanks for your great review :-)"

I want to read too. *slings another must read book on the pile*"

LOL! I know that feeling. :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Great review :)"

Thanks buddy!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patrycja wrote: "Awesome review hun!"

Thanks Patrycja :)

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen FANTASTIC review Shelby!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kathleen wrote: "FANTASTIC review Shelby!"

Thanks Kathleen <3

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Adding this!

Wonderful review, lady!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ wrote: "Adding this!

Wonderful review, lady!"

This one is just wonderful! Yay!

Meyers Cooper Debbie Loved your review just as much as I loved this book. You hit the nail on the head when you said that Lydia was family. I especially loved the change in perspectives throughout the book.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Debbie wrote: "Loved your review just as much as I loved this book. You hit the nail on the head when you said that Lydia was family. I especially loved the change in perspectives throughout the book."

Me too. This book is the perfect example of different points of view just done exactly right. :)

Fabian {Councillor} I just browsed the GR Choice nominations and discovered this book and your review that way. Very appealing write-up, Shelby! I think I will have to read it myself to find out if it's truly that wonderful. ^^

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Councillor wrote: "I just browsed the GR Choice nominations and discovered this book and your review that way. Very appealing write-up, Shelby! I think I will have to read it myself to find out if it's truly that won..."

Yay! Hope you enjoy it when you read it. I still think about it.

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula Remember that You never know what other folk are dealing with. This book is a great reminder of that truth.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Paula wrote: "Remember that You never know what other folk are dealing with. This book is a great reminder of that truth."

Ain't that the truth <3

message 34: by Wendy'sThoughts (new)

Wendy'sThoughts Wow... Wonderfully touching review for a powerful book. :DDD

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "Wow... Wonderfully touching review for a powerful book. :DDD"

Thanks Wendy. I loved this one :D

Zoeytron I did not realize just how good your review was until I read the book myself. You nailed it, Shelby.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Zoeytron wrote: "I did not realize just how good your review was until I read the book myself. You nailed it, Shelby."

LOL! It had two big old typos just glaring at me when I glanced up at it.
Thanks ZT! :D

Zoeytron Gawd, I hate it when that happens. Lets us know we are more or less human. ;-)

message 39: by Donovan (new) - added it

Donovan Nice review, Shelby. I've been seeing this in my LBS and I'll pick it up now. Thanks : )

Renita D'Silva Love this: 'I wanted to rage at Lydia but couldn't because by then she was family.' That's exactly how I felt. Love your review.

message 41: by Shelby *trains flying monkeys* (last edited Feb 08, 2016 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Donovan wrote: "Nice review, Shelby. I've been seeing this in my LBS and I'll pick it up now. Thanks : )"

Hope you enjoy! Well as much as you can enjoy a book like this

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Renita wrote: "Love this: 'I wanted to rage at Lydia but couldn't because by then she was family.' That's exactly how I felt. Love your review."

Thank you!

message 43: by Juicy (new)

Juicy  Nordstrom Your detailed review has caused me to drop everything so I can get as intimate with the characters as you have. Thank you!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Julieann wrote: "Your detailed review has caused me to drop everything so I can get as intimate with the characters as you have. Thank you!"

That is the nicest comment. Thank you! :)

Jennifer That quote you put at the beginning is my absolute favorite in the book (though there were so many other memorable nuggets)!! It really resonated with me and made me love this book even more. I feel like this is one of those books where you enjoy it as you read, but you have to get to the very last sentence to experience how profound the whole thing really is.

debra Loved the quotes you chose -also that you couldn't rage at Lydia because she had become family-loved that.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* debra wrote: "Loved the quotes you chose -also that you couldn't rage at Lydia because she had become family-loved that."

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "That quote you put at the beginning is my absolute favorite in the book (though there were so many other memorable nuggets)!! It really resonated with me and made me love this book even more. I fee..."

I agree completely.
(That was my favorite quote too)

Margitte This was absolutely an amazing read. Love your review Shelby.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Margitte wrote: "This was absolutely an amazing read. Love your review Shelby."

Thank you Margitte! I'm glad you loved it too. :)