Jessica's Reviews > Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze

Milo by Alan Silberberg

bookshelves: children, fiction

This review may be very similar to The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, because I loved both books for similar reasons. This one is definitely sadder, though (The Strange Case of Origami Yoda isn't sad at all), because Milo, the titular narrator, has lost his mother two years ago. Other than that, he's a very normal (albeit nerdy) seventh-grader. He has one best friend, one overly friendly female neighbor, and one HUGE crush on the class hottie, Summer Goodman (who is actually a total jerk, but, like all of us in junior high, Milo can't see that about her). I absolutely love Milo's observations and comments about grown-ups (paraphrasing example: "I think that grown-ups shouldn't be allowed to say they have boyfriends or girlfriends. You know, people over seventeen or so.") because they are so off-base, but totally things that I thought as a seventh-grader. Milo is delightfully clueless and kind of a dork (when he describes his bad haircut, I could totally picture it!). While trying to pass math, (unsuccessfully) attract Summer Goodman's attention, and avoid the weird woman next door, he misses having a mother, and his family being whole again.

The book is mixed with little cartoons that are really cute and part of the narrative. As a result, this wouldn't really be a successful book to listen to on audiobook.

I hardly ever cry while reading books, but a heart-wrenching scene towards the end of the book really made me cry. One thing that I love about this book is that even though parts of it are sad, it doesn't feel emotionally manipulative at all. It just feels... real. Because that's what this book is about. It's about the sadness, the fog that hangs over you when someone you love is lost... and the hopeful rays of light that break through.

Grades 4-6

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Milo.

January 3, 2011 – Shelved