John Steinbeck's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Jan 03, 2011

it was ok
Read in January, 2011

I had a hard time believing Little Bee's voice and couldn't stop myself from picturing Cleave, a white man, typing away on his laptop, closing his eyes and trying to sound like a young Nigerian refugee girl in some parts. There were a few plums here and there, mostly in the words and observations of Sarah, who is closer to Cleave's demographic even if she is a woman, but I just could not appreciate this book outside of its journalistic value in shedding light on horrific oil crimes, currently taking place in the developing areas, especially in Nigeria.
I didn't appreciate the affair or what Cleave was getting at in bringing up degrees of morality. And I don't know why Batman was 4 though he spoke like a 2 year old.
I also didn't like the made-for-hollywood action, much like the kite runner. If it weren't for the book club, I certainly wouldn't have finished this book. But if it makes the news more accessible to the masses, i suppose it has its merits. As for me, I like my novels to be novels, and I get my news from the newspapers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.