Sheena's Reviews > A Vacation From Hell

A Vacation From Hell by Kathy Dinisi

liked it

***This could contain things that some may consider spoilers. I typically do do write reviews that will spoil any part of a book, but I will probably mention a few things that some could possibly consider a spoiler.***

I am going to start with the bad, why exactly I didn't give this 5 stars. I think proofreading and editing are very important. There are a lot of mistakes in this book. From using the wrong words (for example: heard when it should have been herd, site/sight, and to/too..just a few) to apparently not even realizing that the wrong word is even being used. After two times of seeing that the characters had "stifle gas" out of cars I realized that the author must not realize that the word is actually SIPHON. Or that the sun was DECOMPOSING bodies, not DEPOSING. I will say that I did laugh when a character said, "Geese, stop yelling at me" (that is a shortened version but the point was that they meant "Jeez"). I know all of this may seem nitpicking to some, but when you read so many books that are carefully written and edited, mistakes likes this stick out like a sore thumb. To me they are a distraction. So that is why I could not give this five stars, which I would have if all the errors were not present.
So now on to the actual story. I read all kinds of books and here lately I have read a lot of within this genre. I will say that this was one of the more interesting takes on the "zombie" genre that I have came across. I am really interested in seeing how this story ends. I like how this all started from apparently Rabies and that the characters aren't just dealing with mindless zombies that they can escape from and then not have to worry about them. I think it adds a lot of intrigue and potential to this story and it leaves you wondering what is going to happen next. I do think we need to see more character development. At the end of the book, you still don't really know very much about the characters other than little bits and pieces. You don't really feel a connection to the characters by the time you are finished. However, I do think it was a good story and I do want to know how it ends. I do think it is worth reading and giving book 2 another chance.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vacation From Hell.

September 2, 2015 – Started Reading