Wendy F's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

4019599

bookshelves: 2011, favorites, patrick-ness

My goodness... I have absolutely no idea how to shelve this book! It's gritty contemporary, but it's got fantasy element. Except it's not even remotely an urban fantasy, nor can it be contained under the shelf 'paranormal'. It's creepy but it's also uplifting, and i don't want to stick it under the scary shelf because that's so miss-leading. This book just seems to rip right through genre's, it's a complete class if it's own. I created a new shelf just for this book (tear-jerker) but even that just doesn't work well. It's so much more then any of these genre's or subject matters.

And the artwork! I mean, I had to stop everyone and make them flip through it because it was so visually stunning. Mr. Ness & Mr. Kay, if you're out there and read this review, you'd make a boat load putting that artwork into prints and selling it. I can think of three images now that I'd purchase for my walls. The images and words of this book came together in what I believe will become an eternal classic. There's a reason that this is one of the highest rated books on Goodreads that I've seen.

I don't want to say too much about what this book is about because, like other books that deeply affected me, I feel like to tell people what to expect is to ruin the experience and I just refuse to do this.

It's like this, this book isn't what you think it's going to be. If you want to read a book that will take you on a journey and leave a permanent impression on your soul, then this is what your looking for.

Read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls

January 3, 2011 – Shelved
October 4, 2011 – Started Reading
October 4, 2011 –
page 66
October 4, 2011 –
page 154
October 4, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Regina Do you do netgalley? This book is available on netgalley ....

Wendy F Really! I have a netgalley account. I've never used it but that is one darn good reason. I'm going to look into that as soon as I get home.

Wendy F I don't see it...

Regina Did you do a search based on the author?

Wendy F Yep, it didn't pull up anything. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Regina Maybe look by genre in the YA books.

Wendy F I'll look more in depth when I get home. I'm focused now on finding it so I can read it.

Regina Were you able to find it?

Wendy F Nope... I did request Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2) by Stacey Kade, though. The first one was really really cute.

Hopefully they approve me. So, are the Netgalley's on a time limit?

Regina What do you mean by time limit? You have to review them by the designated date. Is that what you meant?

I am sorry the ness book is now gone!

Wendy F I'm just not sure exactly how NetGalley works. I've heard some people talk about having a time limit, so I wasn't sure if that meant it was like a lent ebook and you only have it for so long. (This may be a silly question, lol.) But it sounds like the time limit is in when you need to review them by...

Wendy F It's okay, I'm pretty excited about the new Ghost and the Goth book.

Regina Oh. You have to meet the deadlInes. The publishers want the books reviewed on or before - depending on publisher -- the date of publication. Some publishers set an ePub to disappear 60-90 days after it is downloaded and the kindle books can't be uploaded to more than one kindle even if the kindle is on the same acct.

Regina Weird GR wouldn't let me post more to the post above. Anyway :) it depends on publisher. Some books I still have and others are gone.

Wendy F Thanks!

I just updated my NetGalley profile so hopefully I don't get denied.

Wendy Darling *Anxiously waiting to see what you think*

Wendy F I finished it last night... can I just say, I practically cried myself to sleep!

I'll be writing up my review in just a moment.

Wendy Darling I know, I cried so many tears, too. The reviews for this book have been phenomenal.

Wendy F Almost 5 stars across the board. I'm going to go and read all my friends reviews too. I love reading reviews after I finish an amazing book.

Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death) I am going to read this book.