Bob Price's Reviews > What Good Is God?: In Search of a Faith That Matters

What Good Is God? by Philip Yancey

liked it

Phil Yancey is one of my heroes. He not only talks about subjects that, for most Christians are taboo, he does it with grace, hope, humor, and compassion. Yancey reminds that that the Christian life is not roses and sunshine, and I appreciate that he spends more time dealing with substantial issues than most of the pop-psychologize 'how to have a better family in 10 days' that most Christians seem to spend their time reading.

What Good is God developed out of Yancey's experiences in the worst of situations and contains the speeches he gave in these crisis moments. He recalls the horror of the Virginia Tech Massacre, the devestation in Mumbai, events in South Africa, and an Alcoholics Annynmous meeting.

Some of these speeches reflect genuine Yancey. For example, in a speech entitled "Why I wish I was an Alcoholic," he demonstrates what alcoholics teach us about God. He remembers vividly going to college in a fundamentalist Christian college. He talks frankly about terrorism and offering them grace. He confronts issues like racism dead on.

Yancey's reflections on the transitions in South Africa are of particular interest. As Yancey has seen the changes occuring in that country, one detects the urgency he has for the church in the US to re-evaulate itself.

The issues that Yancey deals with are vital for all Christians to wrestle with. While not comprehensive in scope, Yancey at least gets the conversation going.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Good Is God?.

January 3, 2011 – Shelved