Anne's Reviews > Superman: The Men of Tomorrow

Superman by Geoff Johns

1720620

bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, read-in-2015
Recommended for: SuperFans

Say what you want about Geoff Johns, but he definitely knows how to pump new life into iconic characters.
This was FANTASTIC!

description

The biggest downer was the art, but I may be the only person who isn't in love with John Romita Jr's stuff. It's not horrible, but I miss Kenneth Rocafort. Sorry, I just think his stuff is pretty to look at, and while JRJ is a beloved illustrator, I'm just not into him.

description

Other than that, there's simply nothing wrong with this volume, though.
Ok, you know how I constantly bitch about crossovers & events hijacking every single title out there? Yeah. Well, it doesn't happen here! This is literally one cohesive story!
What the what?! I didn't even know they did that anymore?!

description

This next bit might be a mild spoiler, but I don't think so, because it happens on the first few pages, and is alluded to in the blurb.

So there's a brand new character that gets introduced, and he's got the same backstory as Superman. His planet was dying, and in a last ditch effort, his scientist parents managed to shove him into a parallel world.

The kicker?
He's from Earth!
At the last minute, the crisis was averted, and his parents had no way to get their son back. Just like Superman, he gained superpowers and is now his adopted home planet's protector.
Now imagine his surprise when he chases a bad guy through a worm hole, and discovers that his version of Krytpon is alive!

description

Ok, that's as far as I'm willing to go with that story.
But, for what it's worth, I absolutely loved it!

description

Also got a bit of the Batman/Superman bromance in this, which makes the volume pretty much perfect!

description

Johns does a fabulous job showing off Clark, in all of his awkward glory, and helping the reader connect with Superman's problems. And they are admittedly hard to see, unless the you have a talented writer who cares about his character.

description

There's another big thing that happens in this one, but I don't want to spoil it too much. It was one of those things that made me feel...good.

description

And at the end of the day, that's why I love Superman. He's just good, and reading about him gives me the warm fuzzies.

description

Highly recommended for fans of the Big Blue.

Get this review and more at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman.

September 2, 2015 – Shelved
October 12, 2015 – Started Reading
October 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Jesse A A great Super-book? Who-hoo!!!

Anne Jesse, I know you are going to love this one. I can't get over the fact that this is a NEW Superman story! It's creative, fun, and it doesn't stray from Clark's personality.
And none of that Krypton bullshit! Awesome stuff!

Jesse A You are right about the art though. Not loving the pics you put in your review. It fit for Kick-ass, not Superman.

Anne I think Superman needs all the PR help he can get, and this isn't cutting it. It wasn't bad, just not good.

Jesse A Man, I was going to just go and order this but the paperback isn't out until April!!! Guess I'll just have to wait for the library.

Anne Damn! Well, hang in there. It's worth it, Jesse!

message 7: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan JRJR's art does seem a bit off for Supes. But what do I know? I don't particularly care for Jock's art on most things.

Anne Jonathan wrote: "JRJR's art does seem a bit off for Supes. But what do I know? I don't particularly care for Jock's art on most things."

I just don't care for that square face thing. Still, the story was sooo good!

message 9: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan I will have to check it out. I'll be honest, I haven't read much of Superman's stuff other than the Earth One volumes and Snyder's Superman Unchained.

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne There's a lot of Superman stuff that's just utter crap, Johnathan, but I loved Unchained. This one is a much smaller story, but I think it's very well done. If you don't hate Superman then you might end up really loving it. A lot of people go into a Supes title with this 'this character is a douche' mentality, and then end up not liking anything.

message 11: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan I've never hated the character. I remember loving the Christopher Reeve movies as a kid. For some reason I just always had Batman on a higher pedestal.

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I did too, and for a really long time. I guess I've just grown to love Clark over the years. I actually thought he was a really lame superhero when I first started reading, but when I got look at who he can be in the hands of a skilled writer? Wow! Totally changed my mind!

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul E. Morph The Christopher Reeve Superman has always been 'my' Superman. The first Superman movie was my first exposure to the character and I don't think I've ever read a Superman comic I enjoyed more than that film.

message 14: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom I agree with you about Romita Jr.'s artwork.

message 15: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Awesome! I will have it in mind to read it :D

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Paul wrote: "The Christopher Reeve Superman has always been 'my' Superman. The first Superman movie was my first exposure to the character and I don't think I've ever read a Superman comic I enjoyed more than t..."

I don't really care for Reeves Superman (no offense!), because I didn't see the movie when it first came out. By the time I did, it was too old to make the proper impression. Sadly, I came from one of those weirdo houses that thought movies were evil, so I missed out on stuff like this. :(
I do think it's the best Supes movie they've ever managed to make, though. I think there have been some good Superman comics that have come out in the past few years. I know not everyone will agree, but I think books like this one are a step in the right direction!

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Kidgreg wrote: "I agree with you about Romita Jr.'s artwork."

Right? It's ugly. *ducks* So sorry to his fans!

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Alejandro wrote: "Awesome! I will have it in mind to read it :D"

Yes! This one is really good, Alejandro! I know you're a Superman fan, so I feel pretty good recommending this one to you. :)

Jbainnz Is this the first good volume from the superman series since new 52? I so badly want some good superman books but so many that I've picked up have been the worst!

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne No, I don't thinks it's the only one. I liked Unchained & Doomed, and a few sporadic volumes in between. BUT. I think this is the start (hopefully) of Superman finally getting away from all those awful crossovers, and you can tell Johns really understands/likes this character.

message 21: by Chris (last edited Aug 18, 2016 06:59AM) (new)

Chris Sorry Anne, but the next arc is a crossover with Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman and Action Comics.

Great review though. I'm not a fan of the art at all, but your review of the story is making me consider reading it.

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Highly recommended for fans of the Big Blue.

*echoes*

Nice review though, buddy!!

message 23: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Chris wrote: "Sorry Anne, but the next arc is a crossover with Batman/Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman and Action Comics.

Grrr. Really? Ok, I'll still give it a whirl. I might work out, because I like all of those titles...

message 24: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Jeff wrote: "Highly recommended for fans of the Big Blue.

Nice review though, buddy!!"

Still with this?! He has FANS!

Jesse A Anne wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Highly recommended for fans of the Big Blue.

Nice review though, buddy!!"

Still with this?! He has FANS!"

Yeah! There is me, and Anne, and a bunch of people you wouldn't know that really exist. so yeah.

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff

message 27: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Jesse wrote: "Anne wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Highly recommended for fans of the Big Blue.

Nice review though, buddy!!"

Still with this?! He has FANS!"

Yeah! There is me, and Anne, and a bunch of people ..."

Squirrel Girl fans will crush you. Just crush you.

message 28: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne JESSE! My man!
*whispers*
Quick, lets make a bunch of fake accounts, and comment on this thread...

message 29: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Jeff wrote: "Squirrel Girl fans will crush you. Just crush you. "

That's just hurtful. Hurtful!

message 30: by Logan (new) - added it

Logan Nice review! Glad Geoff John's did it again! I'm with you though I don't really enjoy Jr's artwork either!

message 31: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Jr. has some die-hard fans, though. I think the faces look square and weird, personally.
Did you hear Johns is going to go back to Aquaman?!
*jumps up and down*