Cheri's Reviews > The City & the City

The City & the City by China Miéville

Jan 02, 2011

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, fantasy, want-to-read-again, audio

1/1/17 review: This book was frighteningly powerful this time around. It illustrates, in sobering allegory, how fractured life in the modern world has become. If 2016 showed us anything, it showed us how we are not one place, but instead two - or more - societies that share some spaces, studiously avoid others, and diligently "unsee" the things that don't belong to our own social group. This book is more powerful for the re-reading. It's a hard concept at first, and I found myself, again, arguing against the author. People wouldn't do that! I kept telling myself.

But we do, and we continue to do so, even when we are faced with clear evidence that we've not merged into one society, despite the ground we share.

I'll read this one again in a few years. To me, this book sits well among books like 1984, or Brave New World. Scary, honest stuff.

Feb 2010 review:
Read a review of this book that was intriguing, waited for it to come out in paperback. I really liked it - a sci-fi(ish) murder mystery with the funky premise of a pair of cities that live in the same time and place and yet don't see each other. This was the second book I'd ready by Mieville (the first being Perdido Street Station), and it turned me from "Eh, he's an okay author" to "Wow, I really like him!"

I'd like to read more books like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City & the City.

February 1, 2010 – Started Reading
January 2, 2011 – Shelved
February 25, 2013 – Shelved as: speculative-fiction
February 25, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 26, 2016 – Shelved as: want-to-read-again
December 30, 2016 – Shelved as: audio
January 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan That's a great assessment.