J.R.'s Reviews > The Magic Mines of Asharim

The Magic Mines of Asharim by Pauline M. Ross

bookshelves: fantasy, indie

I was lucky enough to read this as an ARC. This story was kind of an ode to unrequited love. The characters were carefully drawn, diverse, and complex. Ross has a knack for writing characters that you come to know so well that you will miss them when you finish reading their stories.

Allandra is smart, hot-headed, and nothing if not practical. She suffers incredible hardship, but walks away in tact. She's a survivor. She's also remarkably well read, and there were several times where I couldn't help but think, "lawyered!" I tend to like the brazen bookish types.

The men were interesting. They were puzzling to Allandra, and it was nice to have a little mystery to work out on their back stories. I wanted Renni's story, but I never did get it.

The plot was fantastic. Run away bent on leaving her past behind only to have it continually slap back into her. There is some sexual violence against the main character and a child which was very hard to read.

There were dragon tunnels and magical connections to elements and minds. The magic system is the same as the previous books, but you don't need to have read them to get a feel for the rules and limitations.

The backstory on the downfall of the empire was dolled out slowly, and it is something I hope the author will write about later. I want the whole story behind the betrayer. It sounds fascinating.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a strong and complex character driven plot. I can't wait to read the next installment in Ross's fantastical world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Mines of Asharim.

September 1, 2015 – Started Reading