Sophie Patrikios's Reviews > Doing Good Better: Effective Altruism and a Radical New Way to Make a Difference

Doing Good Better by William MacAskill

Easy to read, well researched, only didn't give it 5* because it proved my husband has been right about everything he's been saying for years. Very annoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doing Good Better.

Finished Reading
September 1, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Alfredo Parra Good books and good ideas need support (for example, in the form of 5 stars). So it's sad to see a great book getting less than what it deserves for a trivial reason...

Samuel fair point ^ but has she not made a more colourful review that will be more memorable and noted than a plain 5* review and in essence she's done good better! Don't confuse rationality with plainness

Alfredo Parra Good point! I agree and take my comment back.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick I enjoy this review and it's subsequent comments

Yefim You may be happy to know that the book, and your husband, are wrong.

message 6: by Adam (new) - added it

Adam Morva lold

Samuel @yefim,
please elaborate (if you have the time)

message 8: by Andre (new) - added it

Andre Simonsen Hey, I've got curious! What has he been saying?

message 9: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Paradisin about to start reading this and just have to tell you this comment made my day haha

message 10: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason D'Souza This is the best & funniest review!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate hahaha

message 12: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug It's a shame @Yefim never came back, their record doesn't suggest they're a troll. Anytime I read books like this I always google "Criticism of ________" just to see counter arguments. There aren't much for this book, so I don't think Yefim's got much of a ground to stand on, but would love to be proven otherwise.

Alfredo Parra @Doug, funny story: after coming across effective altruism about five years ago, my colleague Stefan did exactly what you did. He was (and has since then been) not impressed by the counterarguments. He's now co-executive director of the Effective Altruism Foundation. :)