Emily May's Reviews > Pretty Girls

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

liked it
bookshelves: arc, mystery-thriller, 2015

I didn't dislike this, but I think these days it's pretty hard for me to be shocked by thrillers. My enjoyment of them hinges more on the character development and the way the story is written, which I thought was fairly average when compared to my favourites from the genre - Tana French and Gillian Flynn.

The grittiness, shock tactics and reveals, which many people have praised, left me feeling relatively cold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Girls.

August 31, 2015 – Shelved
September 3, 2015 – Started Reading
September 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Vanessa J. How are you liking this, Emily? I'm currently reading it and am 20% in. The mystery is engaging, but Claire annoys me a little.

Emily May Vane wrote: "How are you liking this, Emily? I'm currently reading it and am 20% in. The mystery is engaging, but Claire annoys me a little."

I've barely started but I should have some more reading time today! I'll update you when I've read a bit more :)

Vanessa J. I agree the character development is not the best thing in the world. To be honest, I still stand by what I said in my first comment - Claire annoys me, and her character is not given that much room for development, even though most of the action is witnessed by her. (I'm 65% done with it)

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror 100% agree.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This was my very first Slaughter book. Page turner for sure.

IMO one graphic description could have done for the whole book. Sickening. I kept reading, I will admit. Part of me wanted to find out how the psychopath meets his maker.
As for the repeated descriptions of women being tortured, the reader could have done with less is more. Not my first choice of material when I look for my next book.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Agreed!

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Glad to know it wasn't just me who didn't enjoy the excessive graphic descriptions of torture. I listened to an audiobook, so was able to skip forward through most of the worst parts.

Barbara I thought it was just OK and 100 pages too long