Kathy 's Reviews > The Wiccan Witch of the Midwest

The Wiccan Witch of the Midwest by Scott A. Lerner

F 50x66
Aug 31, 2015

liked it

This is the first book I have read by this author and the first one in this series. I will be honest, the book blurb appealed to me. I am interested in witches and the paranormal, but do not know very many hard facts about witches or wiccan or the paranormal. After reading this book, I know more about witches and wiccan, but I am not sure whether I liked what I earned or not. Sam Roberts, a lawyer, gets gift of a tarot reading by a fortuneteller from his friend Bob. When he goes to the reading, strange things happen. First, the fortune teller stops in the middle of the reading, and tells them it is over, making up some excuse to end the sitting. Sam also is smitten with this fortune teller, whose name is Bridget Gillis, and whose great-great aunt, also named Bridget, founded the village where this all takes place as a haven for witches and warlocks, where they would not be shunned or persecuted for their beliefs. Next, Sam and his pal Bob are enlisted to be advocates for Bridget, who is accused of breaking coven rules and, unless proven innocent during a coven “trial”, or hearing, will be burned at the stake a couple of days hence, on Halloween. Further, this village is located in some rural area, alongside an Amish settlement. Why there? I don’t know. I found this whole setting and concept a bit unrealistic and strange—but fascinating. Being a lawyer, Sam tackles the task of defending Bridget giving it his lawyerly all. During the hearing, or “trial”, he finds that this court’s procedures are not quite the same as the courts where he normally works, and is forced to make a lot of adjustments. I won’t get into the ending, as I do not want to spoil the story.

I found the book interesting enough, but the lack of reality within it bothered me as I read more and more. I disliked the character Bridget from the start and never did warm to her. I was unable to understand how she, facing the prospect of burning to death at the stake, could be so non-pulsed and almost uncaring for the most part, which only added to the unbelievable part of the book. Sam, Bob and Bridget’s friend Wendy were far more concerned. Likewise, I am not sure about the relationship between Bridget and Sam, but it was obvious there were no feelings on Bridget’s side, only on Sam’s. I really did not see any reason to start the relationship and then leave the reader hanging. I guess I expected more. I also think the author could have made more of Bob’s character, as I felt for most of the book he served no real purpose. I guess he has been in the other books in the series, and perhaps he played a stronger role in those. As I said, the book was interesting and entertaining, but very unbelievable. I prefer my reading to be more grounded in reality. The plot was an easy one to figure out about one third of the way through. There were some surprises at the conclusion, but I have figured a lot of it out before then. I think this would be a god book for someone who enjoyed the others in the series or for someone who enjoys wiccan and witches or who is looking for something unique to read. Be prepared, however, it is different, though fascinating, to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wiccan Witch of the Midwest.

Started Reading