Rachel Bustin's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Rebecca Muddiman

I have been browsing through the Bookbridgr website lately looking for some great books to read that were dark with lots of mystery and suspense, and this was the book I came across - Gone by Rebecca Muddiman. I have to say that the cover caught my eye to begin with. Then I read the description. I decided there and then that this was a book that I needed to read! So I applied to review it and luckily I was approved. The wait began then for it to arrive in the post!

The book starts off with a prologue set in December 2010 and tells us that a body has been found in Blyth. It introduces us to DI Gardner and his doubts about how he ran the case back in 1999, a girl called Louise who has just seen on the TV that a body has been found in a place she used to call home and Lucas Yates who shared a history with Emma.

I love the way that the book then flips to a couple days later in 2010 and introduces us to DS Freeman who now has a body on her hands, but needs to confirm the exact identity and make sure it is Emma. She has to go back and speak to DI Gardner who is very reluctant at first to help her out.

The chapters flip between 1999 and 2010 throughout the book giving us an insight into Emma's life before she disappeared and the circumstances around her death. I found some of these parts quite disturbing. Emma was a lovely daddy's girl who got caught up with the wrong crowd after her mother's death and everything seems to be getting worse and worse for her. I felt that she was very lonely and felt quite upset with the situation she ends up in.

It's one of those brilliantly written books where you feel as if you have become the character as you are reading along. I can highly recommend this book if you are looking for lots of thrills, mysteries and suspense. I can't wait to read more of Rebecca Muddiman's novels if this is only her second novel.

I am so glad to have found this amazing new British crime writer!

I have given Gone by Rebecca Muddiman 5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

August 31, 2015 – Started Reading