Kelly's Reviews > His Conquest

Jan 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, historical, read-in-2011
Read on January 08, 2011

I'm going to go on record here as saying that Highland romances are kinda a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm not enamoured of them to the point where I must have every single one that crosses my path but I tend to view them a fun, fluffy diversion from all that real-life stuff that crops up from time to time. I mean, there's something about a brawny guy that can ride a horse and swing a sword while nearly naked that makes my breath catch in my throat.

That said, there's a lot of backstory and history in this book that, while interesting, almost made me feel like I was back in school being forced to learn things. Egad! The horror! Not that I'm knocking historical accuracy, but I want it a little less in my face and more an organic part of the scenery. I will say that all the rebellion set a good back drop for Linet and Seathan's story but... fluffy diversion, guys. I wanted a fluffy diversion and I got a history lesson.

Now I feel really shallow. I mean, it's good to learn things. I should want to learn things. Yet sometimes I want nothing more than sweaty Scottish sex with a lot of thrusting and parrying. I'm talking about swordplay, guys. I swear! No, you're right. I wasn't.

In all, while this was a interesting story, I could have done with a little less history and a little more of that unresolved sexual tension. Wait. I didn't mean that. Any more sexual tension and those two would have combusted on the spot. I guess I'm saying that it was good, just a little deeper and more real than I was expecting.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Conquest.