Kim's Reviews > My Soul to Keep

My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

Jan 02, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2011

There are no specific spoilers in this review, but I assume you've read the first two books (or don't mind and read this anyway) but I don't know exactly how much vague information you want to about this book before you've read it. So I warned you, keep that in mind.

Please hold me. I feel like somebody came in, grabbed me and swept me off my feet, made me feel warm on the inside while he whispered everything I wanted to hear into my ear and so much more, and then suddenly I'm being dropped on my ass, a bucket of ice water gets dumped over my head and to top it off, I get stabbed in the gut with a blunt knife, making my insides bleed and burn, while I watch the guy I want to grow old with make out with my arch enemy.

Multiply that feeling by 634 and you are not even close to feeling what I'm feeling right now.

It's not the most mature reaction to a book but I really feel like dying. I knew this train was going to derail sooner or later (thank you Jess) but, I kept thinking things just couldn't get any more worse while I was watching it fly past stations like "I-would-never-hurt-you", "Saneville", and "FUBAR". My smile fell a little bit each time one of those signs passed me by, until my face froze up in terror, when the damn thing finally stopped, blinking away my tears while I read the "Nuclear Disaster Land" sign in front of me. I vaguely remember slapping my palms on the window and letting out a gut-wrenching NOOOOOO, right before I collapsed and lost consciousness.

I don't even know what to say about Nash. In my mind, I conjured up his image and I've been staring at him for the past half hour, and he's looking at me like he's expecting me to say something but there are just no words. He just... I know he's... And that he couldn't... But what he did was just.... I can't believe it...

...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Keep.

January 2, 2011 – Shelved
January 2, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 6, 2011 – Started Reading
January 6, 2011 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
January 6, 2011 –
10.0% "These books are taking over my life."
January 7, 2011 –
20.0% "Curiouser and curiouser..."
January 8, 2011 –
40.0% "Okay, I'm getting tired of this crap (not the book, but what's happening). Tod, where are you?"
January 9, 2011 –
75.0% "Warning: Depression Level: Critical."
January 9, 2011 –
January 9, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm looking at this book like it's going to explode in my hands any second now, because a few friends told me I'm headed towards another book depression.

Jessica He.he.he. It's not going to explode...It's going to walk right in, rip your heart out, throw it on the floor, stamp around on it and hand the remains back to you.

Jessica I'm just kidding ;-) You might not feel as bad about it as I did. God, I can't wait to hear what you think!!!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim You're making it worse Jess. But thanks! XD

message 5: by Nora (last edited Jan 09, 2011 06:58AM) (new)

Nora Wow. Deepest sympathy. Hope you feel better soon... Emotional review -- I like it :).

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Thanks Nora. It will be a while before I feel better...

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I'm afraid to read your review... because I'm also looking forward to reading this series soon! but for the looks of it, it must at least be great !

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Yes Kathryn, they are great. Really, really great, but only when things aren't really really bad.

Jessica Aw hun, I'm so sorry! I'll get you a huge chunk of chocolate ice cream next weekend! *BIG HUG*

We so have to talk about this!

Jessica Oh, and I love your review, btw. :)

message 11: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Wow, this book must be insanely awesome to get this reaction out of you. It's moving up my TBR FAST!

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Thank you Jess!

Arlene, I'm kicking myself in the girl-nads because I should have read these books sooner.

message 13: by Janina (new)

Janina Hmmmmm ... you kind of make me want to give those books a try (not that I'm looking forward to a book depression, but ... ;)). Maybe I should try to get the first one.

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim About these books: I may be overreacting. Slightly. But I can't help myself, I just really like them.

message 15: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 09, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

oliviasbooks Janina wrote: "Hmmmmm ... you kind of make me want to give those books a try (not that I'm looking forward to a book depression, but ... ;)). Maybe I should try to get the first one."

I believe liking these books is directly linked to liking the Morganville series. (Just my theory). Maybe you try the free online prequel first?

message 16: by Janina (new)

Janina Good idea. Also, I would only buy the first one if I found a cheap used copy somewhere. When it comes to YA paranormal, our tastes tend to be similar - and I didn't like Morganville that much either.

~Tina~ Skimmed this since I'm gonna read this soon. Glad your still loving it, but I'm gonna guess this is where the heart-fail starts?

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Yup.

~Tina~ Crap.

Jessica Oh, this awful heartbreak! *wails*

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Yup.

message 22: by Anthi (new)

Anthi I loved your review! And I'm glad I'm not the only one out there that get's book depressed! I guess I'm not totally crazy..lol

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Thank you Anthi! They warned me about this one, and sadly, they were right.

Not totally crazy = not exactly sane, which is fine with me ;)

Have you read My Soul To Steal?

message 24: by Anthi (new)

Anthi No I haven't, I've heard tha the Soul Screamers series is good and I was checking the blurbs and reviews about it in GR and I saw your review! You have an odd and interesting way to express your self. Have you ever concidered writing something? A story?

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I wrote stories when I was a kid, but I haven't written anything in years. I role play (get your minds out of the gutter people) sometimes, it's fun, but I don't conciser myself to be a good writer.

But thank you for the compliment =)

I really recommend the Soul Screamer books (I've been saying that a lot lately)

message 26: by Anthi (new)

Anthi My brother is a DM, he's been role playing for years, I find it interesting, but I'm not really into it. The only time I really want it to play was some years back when his group was role playing Vampire Masquarade, but I didn't got the chance :-(

Carmen G *sigh* I'm dreading to continue reading now (just started the 3rd book). First I get myself totally spoiled on fanfiction.net. I didn't even read one fic, but the summaries just totally ruined it for me GRRRR! And now I read your review, which is awesome btw, eventho it doesn't say anything of what happened). And thanks to my lovely visit to fanfictiton (NOT), I have an idea what you might mean. ARGH! WHY????????? Sorry... Great series, but I'm not liking where it's heading... NOT AT ALL! Hmmm, I should continue reading just to get it over with. Actually I should be making homework, that is obviously not working out too well ^^ I should have never started these series! Haha.

message 28: by M. (last edited Mar 22, 2011 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. All I have to say is NOOOOOOO!!!! I just started reading it but at least now I'm prepared for the heartache. I should have known something was going to happen to their relationship. Crap!

message 29: by Carmen (last edited Mar 22, 2011 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carmen G I so know what you mean Michelle *sigh* I'm prepared for it too, well not really, but we'll just have to be I guess. I still have not continued reading though ^^ I'm so pathetic haha.

message 30: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Come on, Carmen! You have to continue. :P

Carmen G I finally finished it ^^ haha. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... Hmmm, maybe because I was prepared. But I'm dreading to read the next one *lol* Here we go again hihi

message 32: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Carmen wrote: "I finally finished it ^^ haha. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... Hmmm, maybe because I was prepared. But I'm dreading to read the next one *lol* Here we go again hihi"

The next is one really good. It was a game changer for me.