Sakina (Y.L.) Angel's Reviews > Destined

Jan 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: urgh, supernatural
Recommended for: No one

For the record, I hate this series like I've hated no other. But I just want to know what happens next... :/

...And after finishing it, I'm like: "Great. Not another cliffhanger."

If only the authors had put more thought into it from the start - the books have become so overrun with narratives that I'm wondering what is the point of the authors narrating Zoey in first person now? Seems to me this is a massive case of "we're making this up as we go along..."

If this was an anime, then I suppose it could work in that contrived way that anime plots and Mary-Sues gel together. But no. This is not an anime, a TV show or even godforbid...a movie. It's a book, a terribly written one at that, and yet, I know I'll be reading the next one whilst cursing the writers for making an addictive plot and the most awful main characters in recent book history.

*sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

January 2, 2011 – Shelved
October 28, 2011 – Started Reading
November 2, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: urgh
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: supernatural

message 1: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie I totally agree with you. Once I start a series I have to finish it. No matter how much I hate the books.

Joana Me too... I liked the first couples of books, but from them on it's just been a disgrace. I keep reading simply for the same reason as you... It's sad really. =/

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel Glad I'm not the only one here who feels like this! I really do think that if the authors had just put in a bit more thought and toned the narrative and characters down so that they were all a little less in-your-face then I would actually look forward to the next release date.

message 4: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie Before this series, I used to wish that my favorite series would never end. Now, reading this series I finally understand (and am thankful) that they do come to an eventual end. The longest one being 6 books (The Vampire Academy). Which was a good series. But these books. It's just OME, END ALREADY!!!! Practically every single one of these books except for the first one could be merged together to make the series A LOT smaller and at an end already. If you understand what I'm talking about.

Joana Cassie wrote: "Before this series, I used to wish that my favorite series would never end. Now, reading this series I finally understand (and am thankful) that they do come to an eventual end. The longest one bei..."

Exactly! ;)

message 6: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie Im glad you agree Joana

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel Haha I get you too! The worse thing is that even if the Casts went all out in an interview and just told everyone how the story was going to end, I'd probably still read the next books. I'm so sad...

message 8: by Cassie (new) - added it

Cassie LOL. I did the same thing. After 'Untamed' that I just had to put the books down, even though I had already purchased the last 4 in the series and take a break from them. From there I googled the books to see what happened in the other books. I did eventually finish them, even though I already knew what was going to happen. xD

Neriah I liked the first books, and I'm purely in it to read it to finish! I liked the first couple but maybe it was because i had to start waiting around the time the 5th one came out, or maybe they're just terrible. Either way, i agree with this. I know they got a multi film deal...and I just dont really wanna see money wasted on this....:/

Paige lol. same thing with me. :) I just kept reading because They end with a climax. Tempted was so uneventful but they end all the books so that you keep reading simply for curiositys sake.

message 11: by Josh (new) - rated it 1 star

Josh I had to stop reading these books.. They were good to start with but once sex was introduced into the mix thats all the books are about anymore. I mean honestly Zoey because she has these extra powers can run around like a cat in heat and not get scolded for it and still everyone is proud of her. I just.. really really think the authors are desperate to keep a story going that they long ago killed. Just >__< upsets me when authors ruin good books...

Wendy @ sakina don't read it when u don't like it. Rly some ppl don't care what for problems u have... dint go on about it...

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel @Wendy: This is a review site where all opinions are allowed to be expressed, and you know what, out of the 6.975 billion people on this planet, I NEVER would've guessed that some of them don't give a crap about my problems and whether or not I "go on about it" in 162 words, clearly the length of a long essay.

And since I may as well address your first point, whether I like the series overall or not is beside the point. Why don't you consider that at one point, I may have enjoyed the series enough to want to continue on? And after it went downhill so badly it's now about the hope that it could get better, or about the time originally invested in the series that would make it pointless to give up when there are (ha, supposedly) only a few more books left.

P.S. Please learn how to spell and punctuate.

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel @Neriah: A multi film deal?! Bloody hell. Most of the stuff in here should be R-rated at least - how are they going to market this to the poor young tweens who see ho-Zo as their role model?!

@Cassie and Paige: I was always disgusted by the writing style and characterisations - it was solely the plot (and occasional gem of writing) that kept me wanting to go on. Say what you want about the rest of it, but the Casts sure know how to reel us suckers in.

@Josh: In that case, don't ever read the Anita Blake series. Another good vampire series, ruined because the main character turns into a cat in heat.

Kobra Nevermore i havent read this one yet im getting it from the library though.
i just read awakened it was a good while since i read burned but i wasnt looking forward to it because i read shit reviews.

to be fair if the book pulls at your curiosity it isnt all bad.
i did skip and skim-read most of zoeys part because i find her to be a slag at best and quite boring.
i was however enjoyiong reading stevie rae and raphaims point of view, and its these two characters for me that make me want to read the next one.

they have seriously milked this series and killed a potentially great series, they should have killed neferet off a long time ago.
these were for a good while my favorite teen fantasy now im not so sure.

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel Yeah, I mean the authors must be doing something right if they have such a huge fanbase. I just want to understand how all the horrendous aspects of the series managed to get through a publisher and editor and why they think we'll all be OK with the racial stereotypes, awful language and slag-tastic role model Zoey.

message 17: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa all her boyfriends again.

message 18: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Okay I typed out a whole thing that said more than that! I was saying I was tired of the story b/c I feel like the main point of it was that she's "so desireable" and has 17 boyfriends to go between. And that's why I keep putting off reading it even though I want to know what happens.

Jamee even though I know they're badly written etc. I love these books (well to take the piss outta them as they got increasingly worse :P). I just wanna see where she's going with them. and tbh with you I kinda liked the character development of some of them like the Twins :) the first few were good like I was like cool- but then it got stupid ¬_¬

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison Brown I know what you mean, I'm starting to hate this series but I need to keep reading to find out what happens!!

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth OK I am only on tempted and feel the need to stop... especially after reading the reviews from everyone and finding out it doesn't get better.... and it started out so promising

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel Ahh, you still have a long way to go, my friend...

message 23: by Jamie (new) - added it

Jamie Nemec I entirely agree with your review. the series has run dry of plot but the cliffhanger endings force me to keep reading.

message 24: by Brianna (new)

Brianna I'm like u once I start to read a series I HAVE to finish it GO TEAM STARK!!!

message 25: by Taryn (new)

Taryn newby Do zoey and koluna get more scenes together?

Sakina (Y.L.) Angel Cherrie wrote: "i wish this thing had a hate button!! because i would press it non stop!!"

Too bad there, sweetie.

message 27: by Laura (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura deLuna i have hated this series from the begining and as much as i loathe the insulting stereotypes, rampant rasicm and annyoing characters i am also cursed with the "must finish the series" disease.
although some good has come of this. i know now that if hell is an actual place and i end up there after i die, it will be nothing compared to the torture tthat was this series of terrible books.

message 28: by Lynn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lynn Haha that's how I am too. I hate this series but I need to know the ending.