Froztwolf's Reviews > How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life

How to Practice by Dalai Lama XIV

liked it

This is an odd book that seems to span the entirety of Buddhist practice from beginning to end.

The first third of the book was easy to connect with. It talks about things in our daily lives, what the tenets or Buddhist practice are, how these two relate, and basically what Buddhism encourages people to do and why. Having studied Buddhism a little before, there were few surprises there for me but it was yet a welcome reminder and well structured.

The middle part of the book tackles subjects that are somewhat familiar and desirable to me but out of my reach as of yet, like deep meditative states, practicing extreme generosity and benevolence, complete non-harm and such.

The last third of the book flew right over my head. Among the subject were the luminous nature of the mind, the inherent emptiness of all things, concepts of (non-sexual) Tantra and other concepts I seem ill-equipped to fully grasp.

The feeling I get from this book is that the reader's experience is going to be extremely personal. It is suitable for newcomers to Buddhism, as all the basics are described in full detail in the first sections, but they might find themselves frustrated by the last few chapters.

Likewise, those that have practiced Buddhism for a long time might be bored with the level of details in the first basic chapters, but more interested by the last sections.

Worth reading, but don't expect the whole book to be useful and relevant to you at any one time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Practice.

January 1, 2011 – Started Reading