Melissa (Ever So Mela)'s Reviews > Assassin's Heart

Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

liked it
bookshelves: blur-rating, epic-fantasy, r2r-or-netgalley, ya-romance

Oh, the conflict. Blur rating alert!

I am honestly so wrecked about how I feel about this book. There were parts I really liked but at the same time there were parts I didn't.

You see, when I read the blurb I automatically thought this was going to be some type of The Punisher(the movie) remake. I was expecting retaliation at its best. I mean, there is nothing sweeter than revenge served cold right? I don't really care that this plot has been done a million times over. It will always captivate me because the driving force of hate and revenge will never lose its shine.
So when that wasn't the path this took, I couldn't help but be disappointed.

Now, that not to say this wasn't good on its own right. It was..but it could have been awesome. I'm going to be real simple and break this down to why I rated it 3.

World Building...

You know this is the lifeblood of storytelling. This can make or break a fantasy read and it really does tend to hinder my enjoyment when it makes absolutely no sense. But here? It was amazing. For a standalone this was so rich and imaginative in its history and way of life. The religions, the myths, the gods and goddesses, the ghosts were all brought to life with these character's actions. The uniqueness of the story (at least in the area) definitely had me hooked from the start.

The plot...
All that mattered was killing the Da Vias.

The book had a great start but it tended to have this problem where the main character would repeat the same sentence over and over again as if we were going to forget what the book was about. It felt like every chapter ended with the same words but it never really felt like they impacted the story anyhow.
After about 40% or so, it started to drag. But I guess at the same time it wouldn't be considered dragging since where the story was headed, but either way, it was hard to stay interested. If it sounds like I'm rambling it's cause I am.

The characters...
Lea: You know how much I love strong female leads so I was bound to fall for her. She's independent, willful, and at times stubborn. What really had me was, she was an assassin through and through. Unlike many books, we've read, she doesn't blab on countless pages about how great an assassin she is and then when put to the test is hesitant about killing someone *cough ThroneOfGlass cough*. No, she kills and feels no regret afterward and you can't possibly imagine how refreshing that is. The fact that she's a cold blooded murder and still the author is able to to make us like her and at times relate is commendable for YA. So kudos to you Sarah.
But...Lea isn't perfect. And I don't mean in the special snowflake sense. I mean, she's a trained assassin, taught to wield a knife since she can talk, educated in the art of poisons since she can remember, and still she made the dumbest decisions even I wouldn't make. I don't care if she's 17, she was brought up a certain way so acting like an idiot teenager is not part of the deal. She also fell flat. Her characterization in certain situations read as if she were a robot, emotionless. I never felt the anger, or devastation, never felt the loneliness, or the heartbreak. Not once did I feel the impact of what happened to her cause the feelings never left the pages.

I did love every other character though. Every single one. I felt they all held their own and really did add to the story in their own way. They all felt unique in their actions and had quirks peculiar to them. And the romance? Freaking adorable. I think it was the only part of the book that made me feel anything. I guess cute guys will always make my heart stutter.

So in the end
It was a good book...just not great. The ending was immensely underwhelming and I'm not particularly happy with the outcome. But it did have its moments that had me enthralled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Heart.

August 29, 2015 – Shelved
August 29, 2015 – Shelved as: not-released
September 10, 2015 – Started Reading
September 10, 2015 –
1.0% "Because lately YA fantasy is where it's at!"
September 10, 2015 –
5.0% "So murder is illegal. But not so if you hire a professional assassin. So, basically I can have everyone I hate killed but just not do it myself...\n \n Am I the only one who does not understand that logic?"
September 10, 2015 –
9.0% "I don't trust him -_-"
September 11, 2015 –
19.0% "I don't know but if this goes how I'm thinking it's going to go...this is gonna be the shit."
September 11, 2015 –
32.0% "I'd love if it picked up the pace again. Come on! Let's get to the killing."
September 11, 2015 –
52.0% "Hmmm it never went the way I wanted it to :/"
September 12, 2015 –
66.0% "Oh man, the swooning is taking place!"
September 12, 2015 –
70.0% "This isn't at all what I had hoped to read :("
September 12, 2015 –
74.0% "That scene felt weak as heck. What I expected to be a emotionally rage-fest encounter turned into some insipid worthless chat. Weal, weak, weak."
September 12, 2015 –
89.0% "This is really nearing to an end and I don't see how anything really exciting could happen."
September 12, 2015 – Shelved as: blur-rating
September 12, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
September 12, 2015 – Shelved as: r2r-or-netgalley
September 12, 2015 – Shelved as: ya-romance
September 12, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra ohhh man. i got approved for this... :(

Melissa (Ever So Mela) AriaStuckinWonderland wrote: "ohhh man. i got approved for this... :("

You might like it though ^_^ It's not that I hated it, it's just that I wanted more blood and a really good massacre.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Great review, Melissa!

Aj the Ravenous Reader At least it wasn't terrible, M and for you that's almost the same as gold. hehehe. Fantastic review! <3

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "At least it wasn't terrible, M and for you that's almost the same as gold. hehehe. Fantastic review! <3"

hahaha that is so true! It had a lot of good parts, hence the 3 ^_^ and thank you doll!

Neil (or bleed) Great review, Melissa. :)

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Neil(ed) it! wrote: "Great review, Melissa. :)"

Thanks :)

message 9: by Henz (new)

Henz cute guys make me stutter too ... (^^) ... I'm sorry you're a bit disappointed with the book ..Wonderful review though!

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Henz wrote: "cute guys make me stutter too ... (^^) ... I'm sorry you're a bit disappointed with the book ..Wonderful review though!"

Why, thank you :) and I meant flutter lol oh well, at least you got my point :P

message 11: by Henz (new)

Henz they make our hearts flutter .. and at some point can make us stutter .. hahaha

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Henz wrote: "they make our hearts flutter .. and at some point can make us stutter .. hahaha"

lol exactly.

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Kane YES, someone else doesn't like t Trone of Glass too IM NOT ALONE, thanks for the review btw

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Nicole wrote: "YES, someone else doesn't like t Trone of Glass too IM NOT ALONE, thanks for the review btw"

Yeah, it isn't really on a good standing with me. Haven't picked up the last 2 books